extended desktop

I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to the 2nd
display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP remeber to
automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my desktop. Every time I
want to do this I have to manually change the settings. This is frustrating
as I think it could be automated. It was easily done in the Mac I have
transitioned from.
6 answers Last reply
More about extended desktop

    On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

    > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
    > the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
    > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
    > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
    > settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
    > was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.

    Chris

    I use dual displays on XP with no problems.

    You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
    to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
    exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).

    Once you click 'OK' it should stick.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

    Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I have to
    check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor attached. I
    would like the box to stay ticked.

    On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

    > "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
    >
    > > On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended
    > > > to the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
    > > > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
    > > > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change
    > > > the settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be
    > > > automated. It was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned
    > > > from.
    > >

    > > Chris
    > >
    > > I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
    > >
    > > You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you
    > > need to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably
    > > not the exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
    > >
    > > Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
    > >

    > Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I
    > have to check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor
    > attached. I would like the box to stay ticked.

    OK, my dual monitors are on a desktop, hven't used them on a laptop. It
    may be a common feature of laptops or perhaps just yours.

    Do you have access to a help/support forum for your laptop? They may be
    able to give specific advice.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

    I will try manufacturer support for the laptop. I was thinking it was an XP
    thing but maybe not...
    Chris

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

    > On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

    > > > Chris
    > > >
    > > > I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
    > > >
    > > > You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you
    > > > need to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably
    > > > not the exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
    > > >
    > > > Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
    > > >

    > > Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I
    > > have to check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor
    > > attached. I would like the box to stay ticked.
    > >

    > OK, my dual monitors are on a desktop, hven't used them on a laptop. It
    > may be a common feature of laptops or perhaps just yours.
    >
    > Do you have access to a help/support forum for your laptop? They may be
    > able to give specific advice.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

    where is the "extend desktop" thing? i can't find it anywhere! if you could
    email me at andthefurniture@gmail.com that would beg reat. thanks!

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

    > On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
    >
    > > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
    > > the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
    > > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
    > > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
    > > settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
    > > was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.
    >

    > Chris
    >
    > I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
    >
    > You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
    > to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
    > exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
    >
    > Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

    Hi,

    It'd be a function of your display drivers if the system supports it. You
    would find it under the Control Panel/Display/Settings tab/Advanced button.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "dustinnn" <dustinnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > where is the "extend desktop" thing? i can't find it anywhere! if you
    > could
    > email me at andthefurniture@gmail.com that would beg reat. thanks!
    >
    > "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
    >
    >> On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
    >> > the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
    >> > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
    >> > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
    >> > settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
    >> > was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.
    >>

    >> Chris
    >>
    >> I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
    >>
    >> You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
    >> to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
    >> exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
    >>
    >> Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff Gaines
    >> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2