extended desktop

January 17, 2005 9:17:01 PM

I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to the 2nd
display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP remeber to
automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my desktop. Every time I
want to do this I have to manually change the settings. This is frustrating
as I think it could be automated. It was easily done in the Mac I have
transitioned from.

More about : extended desktop

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:52:12 AM

On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

> I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
> the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
> remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
> desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
> settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
> was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.

Chris

I use dual displays on XP with no problems.

You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).

Once you click 'OK' it should stick.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I have to
check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor attached. I
would like the box to stay ticked.

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
>
> > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
> > the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
> > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
> > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
> > settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
> > was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.
>

> Chris
>
> I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
>
> You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
> to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
> exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
>
> Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

January 18, 2005 7:43:13 AM

On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

> "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
>
> > On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
> >
> > > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended
> > > to the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
> > > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
> > > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change
> > > the settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be
> > > automated. It was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned
> > > from.
> >

> > Chris
> >
> > I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
> >
> > You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you
> > need to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably
> > not the exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
> >
> > Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
> >

> Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I
> have to check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor
> attached. I would like the box to stay ticked.

OK, my dual monitors are on a desktop, hven't used them on a laptop. It
may be a common feature of laptops or perhaps just yours.

Do you have access to a help/support forum for your laptop? They may be
able to give specific advice.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

I will try manufacturer support for the laptop. I was thinking it was an XP
thing but maybe not...
Chris

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:

> > > Chris
> > >
> > > I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
> > >
> > > You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you
> > > need to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably
> > > not the exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
> > >
> > > Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
> > >

> > Yes, I check "extend my desktop to this monitor". The problem is I
> > have to check it every time I start the laptop up with a 2nd monitor
> > attached. I would like the box to stay ticked.
> >

> OK, my dual monitors are on a desktop, hven't used them on a laptop. It
> may be a common feature of laptops or perhaps just yours.
>
> Do you have access to a help/support forum for your laptop? They may be
> able to give specific advice.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:08:01 AM

where is the "extend desktop" thing? i can't find it anywhere! if you could
email me at andthefurniture@gmail.com that would beg reat. thanks!

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 18/01/2005 Chris wrote:
>
> > I'm new to XP and need to use two displays with desktop extended to
> > the 2nd display. I know how to do this in "displays". Can XP
> > remeber to automatically check for the 2nd display and extend my
> > desktop. Every time I want to do this I have to manually change the
> > settings. This is frustrating as I think it could be automated. It
> > was easily done in the Mac I have transitioned from.
>

> Chris
>
> I use dual displays on XP with no problems.
>
> You have probably done this but in the display settings dialog you need
> to select 'extend my desktop to this monitor' (that's probably not the
> exact wording, I am on a laptop at the moment).
>
> Once you click 'OK' it should stick.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:57:06 AM

Hi,

It'd be a function of your display drivers if the system supports it. You
would find it under the Control Panel/Display/Settings tab/Advanced button.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone