I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup which
they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed me it
is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can anyone
help please
Thanks

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

reset your modem.. plug it out for 30 seconds
Thats What COMSHAFT tells me !!!

freddieboy201 wrote:

> I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
> supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup which
> they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed me it
> is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can anyone
> help please
> Thanks

Something doesn't make sense here: 10GB is a term for storage, while 64mbps
is a term for bandwidth. And how can something be "unlimited" if it has a
size of 10GB?

Sounds to me like you have exceed the terms of your agreement with your ISP,
and as a result your ISP has cut back your service. Can't blame Windows for
that.

No matter how you try to fiddle with Windows, your bandwidth won't exceed
the amount allowed by your ISP.

Ted Zieglar

"freddieboy201" <freddieboy201@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
> supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup
> which
> they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed me
> it
> is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can
> anyone
> help please
> Thanks

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:04:53 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

unlimited, compatible. 2 terms that computer companies have redefined for their
own special needs.

compatible : means if it works for you that's fine, if not tuff. This one
doesn't really have much more to it as a 2nd redefinition.

unlimited : is even more modified. Earthlink's unlimited web space last time I
was there [they hijacked me in an ISP buyout that I'd been foolish enough to
pay a year ahead on] went from unlimited web space. My web site was over 500
megs when EL got it, went to 5 accounts of 10 megs each.
5 worthless accounts. But since it was already paid for, I had no bills to pay
them.

My current ISP unlimited time is 2 accounts. 1st is 200 hours a month, 2nd
account is 100 hours a month.
Unless I fall asleep at the keyboard this can pass for unlimited.
The 1st account could run out after just a bit over 8 days. and the 2nd would
add only 4 more days of sleeping while online.
I have run out the 1st account as early as the middle of the month b4, but
that's not the norm.

Trouble is that all the ISP's claim unlimited, and you don't get to know what
they've redefined the word to mean until after you've paid your money.

There may be other words that have new meanings as it relates to computer
companies. Many out of employee ignorance such as byte, megabyte, kilobyte
etc... these don't normally cost you anything but embarrassment., many like
unlimited and compatible, hoping you are ignorant enough to accept their
redefinition's of them cost you in cash and trouble.

>Something doesn't make sense here: 10GB is a term for storage, while 64mbps
>is a term for bandwidth. And how can something be "unlimited" if it has a
>size of 10GB?
>
>Sounds to me like you have exceed the terms of your agreement with your ISP,
>and as a result your ISP has cut back your service. Can't blame Windows for
>that.
>
>No matter how you try to fiddle with Windows, your bandwidth won't exceed
>the amount allowed by your ISP.
>
>Ted Zieglar
>
>"freddieboy201" <freddieboy201@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
>> supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup
>> which
>> they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed me
>> it
>> is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can
>> anyone
>> help please
>> Thanks

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"freddieboy201" <freddieboy201@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
| supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup
which
| they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed me
it
| is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can
anyone
| help please
| Thanks

Hi Fred,
As Ted said.
Your 64mbs download speed is more 64 kpbs. which is faster than a dial up 56
kpbs modem service.
The reference to MTU is the size of the data packets being transfered.
This link may help:
http://baby.indstate.edu/CU-SeeMe/devl_archives/oct_97/0325.html
Rob.

10gb of downloads per month - if you exceed that the ISP "shapes" your
connection (restricts the connection speed) until the quota is reset for the
next month

However 64mbs broadband is pretty fast compared to 56k dialup.

> Something doesn't make sense here: 10GB is a term for storage, while
> 64mbps is a term for bandwidth. And how can something be "unlimited" if it
> has a size of 10GB?
>
> Sounds to me like you have exceed the terms of your agreement with your
> ISP, and as a result your ISP has cut back your service. Can't blame
> Windows for that.
>
> No matter how you try to fiddle with Windows, your bandwidth won't exceed
> the amount allowed by your ISP.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "freddieboy201" <freddieboy201@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have used up my Bigpond (Australia) unlimited 10G cable usage, and so my
>> supplier has cut me back to 64mbs but this is slower than normal dialup
>> which
>> they acknowledge. I have spoken to the supplier and they have informed
>> me it
>> is an XP problem (something to do with MTU's whatever they are) - can
>> anyone
>> help please
>> Thanks

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Andrew,
Fredo has mistaken the reduced download speed, as the 'cut and paste' from
the unlimited Bigpond plan shows, viz:
" The potential for blistering speeds and complete freedom from excess usage
charges make this the ultimate broadband solution – especially for frequent
online media or game users. (*Speeds may be slowed to 64kbps if you use more
than 10GB in a month". Not 64mbs.
Bigpond, also my ISP, are not that generous.
Rob.