Ivar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

When I press alt-tab and then release tab to stop changing the program icon
for a while to take time to think, then after a fraction of a second the
program of the current program icon starts.
It is as if I had released alt to choose that program. How do I change this
so that nothing happens when I release tab but keep alt pressed?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:19:06 -0800, "ivar" <ivar@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Think about what you want before you start selecting maybe ?
Don't release TAB maybe ?
Move the cursor to whatever's already in view.
Sounds like something connected with the accessibility section of XP is
misconfigured.
Nothing should happen until you release ALT also.

>When I press alt-tab and then release tab to stop changing the program icon
>for a while to take time to think, then after a fraction of a second the
>program of the current program icon starts.
>It is as if I had released alt to choose that program. How do I change this
>so that nothing happens when I release tab but keep alt pressed?

Ivar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

1. ANSWER TO HUSKY:
- Think about what you want before you start selecting maybe ?
YES, BUT THAT IS DIFFICULT
- Don't release TAB maybe ?
THAT'S AN IDEA. I'LL TRY IT.
- Move the cursor to whatever's already in view.
OK, BUT I THINK IT IS EASIER TO USE THE KEYBOARD, AND IT WORKED ON MY
PREVIOUS COMPUTER, WHICH WAS A WIN95 COMPUTER.
- Sounds like something connected with the accessibility section of XP is
misconfigured.
YES, I ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT THAT, BUT HAVE FOUND NOTHING UNUSUAL THERE.

Ivar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

I have another problem also, and it is so similar that I think it has the
same cause:
When I mark a text area in my editor using shift + an arrow-key and I
release the arrow-key (to stop and think again ...) and then press an
arrow-key, I expect the marked area to be changed. But what actually happens
is that the marking of the marked area disappears and the cursor moves as if
the shift key had not been pressed at all, i.e. no new marking happens.

The best solution to this problem that I have found is to release the shift
key with the arrow key and pressing shift + an arrow-key again when I want to
change the marked area. This works, but it wasn’t like that on my win95
computer...

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:53:11 -0800, "ivar" <ivar@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have another problem also, and it is so similar that I think it has the
>same cause:
>When I mark a text area in my editor using shift + an arrow-key and I
>release the arrow-key (to stop and think again ...) and then press an
>arrow-key, I expect the marked area to be changed. But what actually happens
>is that the marking of the marked area disappears and the cursor moves as if
>the shift key had not been pressed at all, i.e. no new marking happens.
>
>The best solution to this problem that I have found is to release the shift
>key with the arrow key and pressing shift + an arrow-key again when I want to
>change the marked area. This works, but it wasn’t like that on my win95
>computer...

Sounds like the problem I had with XP and accessibility when I 1st got XP.
Holding the shift key down 8 seconds, turned on accessibility. but I had no
notice of what caused it other than everything went south.

This is the reply I got and my original message about a mouse with a mind of
it's own.
fix is in the 1st line below.
You'll probably need to fiddle with it awhile same as I did cause the fix
didn't take immediately, there was no help at all other than the point to the
accessibility setup section.

> [...]
> Accessibility :--
> Accessibility :----------------------------------------------------------
> Accessibility :'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> Accessibility :http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
> Accessibility :
> Accessibility :"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message news:ujp4g0p1gu4qrsooosuqslqs8198t1in1q@4ax.com...
> Accessibility :> AND NOW IT WOULD SEEM THE KEYBOARDS FALLEN RIGHT IN WITH IT> Don't tell me I'm
> Accessibility :> shouting, this is the 'will of it's own' I haven't changed a thing, but it
> Accessibility :> would seem the keyboard and the mouse have, since the caps are changing things.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> Basically what the original problem was, and where I think the source may have
> Accessibility :> begun, I was reading something, had my finger on the shift key for an extended
> Accessibility :> time. needs to be there more than 8 seconds, suddenly a popup popped up asking
> Accessibility :> if I wanted to keep some sort of keys enabled. options were ok, cancel, and
> Accessibility :> settings. 1st time I said cancel. I had no desire for the machine to do my
> Accessibility :> thinking for me. went to settings the 2nd time to see what had changed. It took
> Accessibility :> me to accessibility options. And nothing was selected.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> I think things have fixed themselves. But I'd like to know what I can do to get
> Accessibility :> it to fix itself. This is the 2nd time I've seen this activity. Can't recall
> Accessibility :> what fixed it last time. Posting a ng post isn't something I'd consider a valid
> Accessibility :> fix for a problem.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> XP help throws up their hands with 'reboot the machine' then come back here to
> Accessibility :> the troubleshooter.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> I'm guessing yeah that's how I fix the majority of the problems. There has to
> Accessibility :> be a simpler faster way than pampering this thing every time it goes haywire.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> Ok symptoms. here in the NG the mouse wheel switched from scrolling up and down
> Accessibility :> the page, to switching windows like using the tab key.
> Accessibility :> selecting a message to read, highlighted everything from the top of the page to
> Accessibility :> where you drop the mouse.
> Accessibility :> the caps at the beginning of this message occurred with the caps lock key
> Accessibility :> turned off.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> Things now seem to be working the '>' key looks like where things switched.
> Accessibility :>
> Accessibility :> How do I fix this problem next time without going thru the worthless
> Accessibility :> troubleshooter or posting to a NG ?

Ivar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

I have now checked the situation by using the keyboard on my (portable)
computer
and found that the problems were absent. The problems I am experiencing
happen when I use my external keyboard. I'm sorry that I didn't think of
checking this earlier.
I now think for various reasons that the problem lies with the USB to PS/2
adapter connected to my external keyboard. I have reported the problem to the
supplier.
Thanks for your communications so far, Husky!

Ivar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

I've solved the problems now.
Solution: Defective USB to PS/2 adapter.

<Husky> skrev i melding news:i6gqu0l8cuqv48i9j2f9g9r84lppfaevqr@4ax.com...