Taman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I'm wondering if there is any rule of thumb on memory for Nforce2 in general. I recenly bought some Infineon ( chips only on one side of the board) DDR 333. decent memory by most definition but it acts odd as hell on this board. if I do full post, memory fails, it counts correctly to 512 ( 2X 256MB) and then jumps to show a GB. if I use one chip, same thing halfed (correct to 256, jumps to 512). Slowed timings etc etc, same issue. pop in some Corsair XMS3200, same config, no issues. I need some value RAM for this system and figured this was it, what I'm curious about is there any listing of "features" that are not compatible with nforce2 boards? something that is consistant accross all DDR?

any reference would be greatly appreciated

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Nforce boards we have tested are very picky about memory configurations. Generally speaking, only the high-end CAS2 RAM from Corsair seems to run well with Dual Channel DDR running the best (a major performance boost).

In the case of "Value RAM", there doesn't seem to be much value as most of what we have tested is anything but Stable. Nforce boards we setup with Kingston, Crucial, PNY, All Components or Smart Modular RAM either wouldn't configure correctly, would run slower than a 440BX with PC100 RAM or just plain wouldn't boot. In too many cases we saw incorrect SPD reporting or latency settings that were anything but right.

As far as I know, these problems with cheap RAM on Nforce boards are widely known which is why most review sites recommend ONLY CAS2 modules with agressive low latency timings. In other words, if you buy a board as nice as a fully equiped Nforce, you should stick some decent performance RAM on it to keep it running smooth and error free.

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'