Gateway Motherboard Crap Help!

Cuda

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Okay, I'm trying to help my little brother and father out. They have this Gateway crapachine. It is an Intel 733Mhz with onboard everything. They wanted to upgrade the video. So, they found a Jayton PCI version of the Gforce 440MX(no AGP slot). The problem is anytime you go to install a program or play a game the computer reboots. Basically anytime it's under heavy loads.

My theory is the powersupply is not adequate to run this extra video card. I haven't looked at the actual ratings yet, but judging from size alone it is probably 200w or less. Am I on the right track?

They've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and DirectX8.1 with no luck.

Also, Will an ATX powersupply work with a mATX board? This board looks like it's just a shortened version of an ATX. Maybe a little help identifying the type of motherboard?

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Im not too sure on it but from what you described it does sound like underpowering. Either that or its overheating, but if it didnt do it before the card was installed im sure thats not the case. Im not sure about the ATX mATX situation
My stepdads 1ghz gateway has a 180 watt power supply, and if its lying that is very crappy. But even so 200 watts, even 180 should run a 733mhz and a PCI mx440. The only other thing I can think of which is kind of off but maybe is that some kind of voltage setting in the bios isnt high enough...
<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JimmyDean on 03/17/03 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I would say either heat or power inadequacy. What it could also be is a bios conflict. Talk to gateway to get the latest bios driver, and flash it, and that may help. I had a crappy old computer that would gimme the old BSOD and restart once in a while, but I updated the bios and it has been as stable as heck ever since.

Yes, an ATX PS will power an mATX board. mATX means it is a smaller ATX board, all the components on it still conform to the applicable ATX regulations. If you need help identifying it, look for manufacturer names (like shuttle, asus, msi, microstar international, etc), look at what the north and southbridges say, and also what board version it is. All of those can help identify what board it is.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it looks like some kind of ATX, it is. I'd get a larger case with a full sized power supply, yes the connectors and wires are the same. Gateway uses 4 different kinds of boards, ATX (rare), mATX, a smaller mATX (1 inch narrower, still fits ATX cases), flex ATX, and NLX. All the boards except NLX will work in a standard ATX case.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Cuda

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Thanks for the confirmation. My plan was to just move the components to an extra ATX case if the powersupply fixes the problem.

I should really start paying attention to the subtle differences in these board layouts.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Dude, how do you know so damn much about computers? I'm honestly amazed. You should teach classes (lol "crash" courses), I'd sign up.

<font color=purple><i>If I had a notch on my belt for every PC I'd destroyed, I'd have a really crappy looking belt</i></font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've been a tech for about 6 years, the reason I know more than most techs with 3 times that experience is because I'm OBSERVANT.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, I have a new deal for you! I'll trade you a nice BX board WITH AGP slot for their old board, case, and power supply. They need a case and power supply anyway...so rather than pitch the old one, swap me, they'll get an AGP slot that way.