Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Logon Options Administrator / Guest

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
"ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password i
can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system

More about : logon options administrator guest

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Try this..
restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
change your limited user account to an admin account.
good luck:) 
"Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
> I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
> "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
> computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
i
> can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:38:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!

"lvee" wrote:

> Try this..
> restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
> F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
> Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
> that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
> change your limited user account to an admin account.
> good luck:) 
> "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
> > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
> > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
> > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
> i
> > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello there! I have a wireless network at home, which connects two computers.
I just upgraded to xp pro. As an administrator I can share docs/printer
between both computers w/no problems; however, for some reason, I can't not
give access to my users. I have tried everything regarding permissions
adding/deleting and so forth, but the bottom line, the network does not allow
access to my users (two). Can you tell me what/how to do it?

"Lance Automan" wrote:

> Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
> > Try this..
> > restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
> > F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
> > Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
> > that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
> > change your limited user account to an admin account.
> > good luck:) 
> > "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
> > > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
> > > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
> > > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
> > i
> > > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:26:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I'm glad it worked! And, you're welcome.

"Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A2AA642-1855-4EC7-9D5C-4805EFFE3558@microsoft.com...
> Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
> > Try this..
> > restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit
the
> > F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there
select
> > Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in
through
> > that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you
can
> > change your limited user account to an admin account.
> > good luck:) 
> > "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
> > > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
> > > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
> > > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and
password
> > i
> > > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
> >
> >
> >
January 20, 2005 3:48:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Maestro G wrote:
> Hello there! I have a wireless network at home, which connects two computers.
> I just upgraded to xp pro. As an administrator I can share docs/printer
> between both computers w/no problems; however, for some reason, I can't not
> give access to my users. I have tried everything regarding permissions
> adding/deleting and so forth, but the bottom line, the network does not allow
> access to my users (two). Can you tell me what/how to do it?
>

this is a completely different question - please repost starting a new
discussion.
thank you.


--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
counting!)
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
to email me remove the obvious!
January 23, 2005 4:49:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an account
from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the rights
as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings etc.
that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:34:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:49:01 -0800, Popeye wrote:

> Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an account
> from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the rights
> as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings etc.
> that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
> suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
> Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?

Suggestion: Experiment with a separate account before making changes. It
keeps your current account "safe" yet gives you a way to see firsthand what
you can expect with this kind of change.

Create a new account in the administrator group. Log on with it at least
once and "take it for a spin." Log off. Log on with old account and change
the new account to limited. Log off of old account and log back on to the
new one for another test ride.

Regardless of how you handle this, there will always be at least one
account in the administrator group. XP requires it and will refuse to
change the status of an account if it is the only admin account available.
The initial setup of XP includes an account named Administrator. It is
hidden as soon as a second administrator account is created.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
January 23, 2005 2:45:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sharon, you say " It is hidden as soon as a second administrator account is
created." How do I find, or get to, the hidden original administrator
account?
Larry

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:eamI4AVAFHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:49:01 -0800, Popeye wrote:
>
>> Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an
>> account
>> from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the
>> rights
>> as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings
>> etc.
>> that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
>> suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
>> Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?
>
> Suggestion: Experiment with a separate account before making changes. It
> keeps your current account "safe" yet gives you a way to see firsthand
> what
> you can expect with this kind of change.
>
> Create a new account in the administrator group. Log on with it at least
> once and "take it for a spin." Log off. Log on with old account and change
> the new account to limited. Log off of old account and log back on to the
> new one for another test ride.
>
> Regardless of how you handle this, there will always be at least one
> account in the administrator group. XP requires it and will refuse to
> change the status of an account if it is the only admin account available.
> The initial setup of XP includes an account named Administrator. It is
> hidden as soon as a second administrator account is created.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which should
be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login Box.
Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one). This
will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.

HTH
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:12:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

To access the 'default, or built-in admin account that Sharon is referring
to, restart your pc, and as soon as the screen turns black, hit the F8 key
repeatedly. This will bring you to the boot options, choose safe mode.
There you will find the default admin. account.
On xp home pressing ctrl-alt-delete- twice brings you to a password prompt
box, however, that is not the default admin logon...but, in xp pro, I think
it is.
"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
news:%23$H126WAFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which
should
> be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
> you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login Box.
> Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one).
This
> will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
> maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
> password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.
>
> HTH
>
>
January 23, 2005 8:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

OK, thanks. I've got XP Home, I'll do some playing around to make sure I
understand how to get the "Get out of jailfree" card, so I'll know how later
when I might need it. Thanks.
Larry

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
news:eGn00KXAFHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> To access the 'default, or built-in admin account that Sharon is referring
> to, restart your pc, and as soon as the screen turns black, hit the F8 key
> repeatedly. This will bring you to the boot options, choose safe mode.
> There you will find the default admin. account.
> On xp home pressing ctrl-alt-delete- twice brings you to a password prompt
> box, however, that is not the default admin logon...but, in xp pro, I
> think
> it is.
> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> news:%23$H126WAFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which
> should
>> be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
>> you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login
>> Box.
>> Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one).
> This
>> will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
>> maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
>> password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>>
>
>
!