Logon Options Administrator / Guest

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
"ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password i
can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
11 answers Last reply
More about logon options administrator guest
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Try this..
    restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
    F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
    Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
    that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
    change your limited user account to an admin account.
    good luck:)
    "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
    > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
    > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
    > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
    i
    > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!

    "lvee" wrote:

    > Try this..
    > restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
    > F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
    > Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
    > that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
    > change your limited user account to an admin account.
    > good luck:)
    > "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
    > > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
    > > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
    > > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
    > i
    > > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hello there! I have a wireless network at home, which connects two computers.
    I just upgraded to xp pro. As an administrator I can share docs/printer
    between both computers w/no problems; however, for some reason, I can't not
    give access to my users. I have tried everything regarding permissions
    adding/deleting and so forth, but the bottom line, the network does not allow
    access to my users (two). Can you tell me what/how to do it?

    "Lance Automan" wrote:

    > Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!
    >
    > "lvee" wrote:
    >
    > > Try this..
    > > restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit the
    > > F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there select
    > > Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in through
    > > that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you can
    > > change your limited user account to an admin account.
    > > good luck:)
    > > "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
    > > > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
    > > > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
    > > > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and password
    > > i
    > > > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
    > >
    > >
    > >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I'm glad it worked! And, you're welcome.

    "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:2A2AA642-1855-4EC7-9D5C-4805EFFE3558@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks very much lvee! Problem sorted!
    >
    > "lvee" wrote:
    >
    > > Try this..
    > > restart your pc, and as soon as it shuts down ( screen turns black), hit
    the
    > > F8 key repeatedly until you get to the boot options, and from there
    select
    > > Safe Mode. There you will find the default admin. account. Go in
    through
    > > that account, then go to control panel>user accounts, and from there you
    can
    > > change your limited user account to an admin account.
    > > good luck:)
    > > "Lance Automan" <LanceAutoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > news:C5F43A5F-FCC4-40DA-8D8E-9E917AF00B3D@microsoft.com...
    > > > I have inadvertantly changed my account to a "LIMITED" account from
    > > > "ADMINISTRATOR" and now cannot change it back therefore i can not use
    > > > computer properly!!! Is there a general "administrator" logon and
    password
    > > i
    > > > can use to sort it out. I have not set up any passwords on my system
    > >
    > >
    > >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Maestro G wrote:
    > Hello there! I have a wireless network at home, which connects two computers.
    > I just upgraded to xp pro. As an administrator I can share docs/printer
    > between both computers w/no problems; however, for some reason, I can't not
    > give access to my users. I have tried everything regarding permissions
    > adding/deleting and so forth, but the bottom line, the network does not allow
    > access to my users (two). Can you tell me what/how to do it?
    >

    this is a completely different question - please repost starting a new
    discussion.
    thank you.


    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
    counting!)
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    to email me remove the obvious!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an account
    from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the rights
    as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings etc.
    that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
    suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
    Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:49:01 -0800, Popeye wrote:

    > Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an account
    > from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the rights
    > as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings etc.
    > that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
    > suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
    > Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?

    Suggestion: Experiment with a separate account before making changes. It
    keeps your current account "safe" yet gives you a way to see firsthand what
    you can expect with this kind of change.

    Create a new account in the administrator group. Log on with it at least
    once and "take it for a spin." Log off. Log on with old account and change
    the new account to limited. Log off of old account and log back on to the
    new one for another test ride.

    Regardless of how you handle this, there will always be at least one
    account in the administrator group. XP requires it and will refuse to
    change the status of an account if it is the only admin account available.
    The initial setup of XP includes an account named Administrator. It is
    hidden as soon as a second administrator account is created.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Sharon, you say " It is hidden as soon as a second administrator account is
    created." How do I find, or get to, the hidden original administrator
    account?
    Larry

    "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    news:eamI4AVAFHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:49:01 -0800, Popeye wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry to jump in but I've a related question. I NEED to change an
    >> account
    >> from Admin rights to Limited rights. I'm reluctant just to change the
    >> rights
    >> as you did because I feared that it might mess up some of the settings
    >> etc.
    >> that I'd made. Apart from being unable to change back to Admin (which I
    >> suppose I can understand - otherwise all Limited users could become
    >> Administrators!), did you see any other changes so your customizations?
    >
    > Suggestion: Experiment with a separate account before making changes. It
    > keeps your current account "safe" yet gives you a way to see firsthand
    > what
    > you can expect with this kind of change.
    >
    > Create a new account in the administrator group. Log on with it at least
    > once and "take it for a spin." Log off. Log on with old account and change
    > the new account to limited. Log off of old account and log back on to the
    > new one for another test ride.
    >
    > Regardless of how you handle this, there will always be at least one
    > account in the administrator group. XP requires it and will refuse to
    > change the status of an account if it is the only admin account available.
    > The initial setup of XP includes an account named Administrator. It is
    > hidden as soon as a second administrator account is created.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which should
    be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
    you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login Box.
    Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one). This
    will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
    maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
    password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.

    HTH
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    To access the 'default, or built-in admin account that Sharon is referring
    to, restart your pc, and as soon as the screen turns black, hit the F8 key
    repeatedly. This will bring you to the boot options, choose safe mode.
    There you will find the default admin. account.
    On xp home pressing ctrl-alt-delete- twice brings you to a password prompt
    box, however, that is not the default admin logon...but, in xp pro, I think
    it is.
    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    news:%23$H126WAFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which
    should
    > be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
    > you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login Box.
    > Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one).
    This
    > will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
    > maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
    > password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    OK, thanks. I've got XP Home, I'll do some playing around to make sure I
    understand how to get the "Get out of jailfree" card, so I'll know how later
    when I might need it. Thanks.
    Larry

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    news:eGn00KXAFHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > To access the 'default, or built-in admin account that Sharon is referring
    > to, restart your pc, and as soon as the screen turns black, hit the F8 key
    > repeatedly. This will bring you to the boot options, choose safe mode.
    > There you will find the default admin. account.
    > On xp home pressing ctrl-alt-delete- twice brings you to a password prompt
    > box, however, that is not the default admin logon...but, in xp pro, I
    > think
    > it is.
    > "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > news:%23$H126WAFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> I think that Sharon's referring to "The" Administrator Account which
    > should
    >> be used as a "Get out of jail card" for emergencies. Log out and, when
    >> you're at the Login Screen, do CAD twice. This will bring up a Login
    >> Box.
    >> Put Administrator as the name and then the password (if you set one).
    > This
    >> will log you in as "The" Administrator but don't use this for routine
    >> maintenance. If you need an Admin account, create another one and
    >> password-protect it. Use a Limited account for daily activity.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Microsoft Windows XP