How to change local IP of wireless router

bill

Hello

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has an IP address 192.168.1.1

When I try to connect from home through VPN to my work servers, I have
problems accessing databases on a couple of them because they have their IP
addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.

Can I change the local IP address of my wireless router ?

How do I go about doing this and what else would I need to do to ensure
that my home PC and work laptop continue to connect to the Internet and
work they way they have been so far.

Thanks.

Lance

Bill thought carefully and wrote on 8/29/2004 9:19 PM:

> Hello
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has an IP address 192.168.1.1
>
> When I try to connect from home through VPN to my work servers, I have
> problems accessing databases on a couple of them because they have their IP
> addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.
>
> Can I change the local IP address of my wireless router ?
>
> How do I go about doing this and what else would I need to do to ensure
> that my home PC and work laptop continue to connect to the Internet and
> work they way they have been so far.

> Thanks.

There are three blocks of addresses assigned for use in local networks.
They're called non-routable addresses:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

These addresses are special and aren't propagated over the internet:
<http://support.easystreet.com/easydsl/general-info/iptutorial.html>

For your Linksys, pick one block and assign any number within the block
to your router. All your computers in your LAN should also be assigned
IP addresses within this block.

Lance
*****

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has an IP address 192.168.1.1
>
> When I try to connect from home through VPN to my work servers, I have
> problems accessing databases on a couple of them because they have their IP
> addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.
>
> Can I change the local IP address of my wireless router ?
>
> How do I go about doing this and what else would I need to do to ensure
> that my home PC and work laptop continue to connect to the Internet and
> work they way they have been so far.

> Thanks.

Using your web browser, go to http://192.168.1.1 - this should open up
your router's configuration page. You can change most anything you want
in there. Make notes on what you change in case you need to "go back".

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=508&scid=35 < There's a
link to the user guide there.

Bill <bill@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hello
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has an IP address
> 192.168.1.1
>
> When I try to connect from home through VPN to my work servers, I have
> problems accessing databases on a couple of them because they have
> their IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.
>
> Can I change the local IP address of my wireless router ?
>
> How do I go about doing this and what else would I need to do to
> ensure that my home PC and work laptop continue to connect to the
> Internet and work they way they have been so far.

> Thanks.

If it were me, I would just simply change the Device IP of the router
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and move the Device IP out of the way.

Duane :)

"Bill" <bill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has an IP address 192.168.1.1
>
> When I try to connect from home through VPN to my work servers, I have
> problems accessing databases on a couple of them because they have their
IP
> addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.
>
> Can I change the local IP address of my wireless router ?
>
> How do I go about doing this and what else would I need to do to ensure
> that my home PC and work laptop continue to connect to the Internet and
> work they way they have been so far.

> Thanks.

Bill,

Let me test for transfer: you are using 192.168.x.x addresses for your LAN,
which is connected via VPN to another LAN which _also_ uses 192.168.x.x
addresses. I assume that (A.) your Linksys router is only being used as a
pipe to the cloud, and (B.) your VPN is running between your PC and your
employer's Security Gateway.

If I got that right, you need to ask your System Administrator at work to
assign you a "Class C" block in the 192.168.x.x IP range, so that (for
example) your router's LAN port has 192.168.250.1, with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, and where the IP address assigned to your VPN is in the same
subnet (e.g., 192.168.250.2).

With this in place, you will have normal connections to the net when the VPN
is off, i.e., you'll access your router at 192.168.250.1, and that'll be
your gateway to the net. When you bring up the VPN tunnel, it will take over
the gateway route, and you'll be inside your employer's LAN with an address
in a _different_ subnet than the ones being used for the databases at work,
thus eliminating the confusion.

HTH.

William

--
William Warren
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)