Compaq motherboard crap help

personificator

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Hello. I just received a Compaq presario 5000xx from a good friend. Its got a p3 1000, 512 ram, onboard video and audio. I want to upgrade the graphics card to the geforce 4 420mx chipset, but when I installed it I couldn't get visuals on either the onboard or the geforce. (at least until windows 2000 starts up, when it uses the onboard video). I tried taking the card out and disabling the onboard video in the bios, but it won't let me save the changes!!! I also looked to see if there were any jumpers on the board, and there arn't. (only for disabling onboard audio.)Please help. Thank you...

Computers don't make errors, humans do.

---My bad, its a presario 5012US.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by personificator on 03/17/03 04:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Check the bios again.. there is no reason you can't flash but it may be some proprietary issue with compaq.. can you flash the bios?? go to compaq tech support and see if they can help you.. the bios may have protection so that only a technician can use it... Still there should be no reason why both cards can't work in the same maching... did you properly install the newest drivers for it? is the device properly detected by the system??

sorry that's all I can think of...

And as for your tag... I think you will find mine below interesting .... hehehe...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Check in your bios for "Bios write protection" or something similar. Many of these non-standard machines turn that on by default, turning it off should allow you to save your new BIOS settings.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

personificator

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Ok. I got the computer to start up with both cards in it. It even displays on both cards DURING bootup. After the windows startup flash screen, the screen goes blank. This was after I uninstalled the drivers for the onboard video card. (I would have disabled it only, but there was no option to, only uninistall????). As for the bios, I chated with an online technician and he said there was no way to disable the onboard video at the POST.

personificator

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Ok. That was pretty messed up!!! Windows XP does the trick. For some reason my computer didn't like windows 2000 at all. Runs great now. Thanks