help center says i probably have a corrupt file and need to reinstall OS.
how much back up do i need - just data or start-up/re-boot info. and is it
very hard to move back-up stuff to external drive? am really new at this and
don't know where to start.

Hi,

No need to reload. Click start/run, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)
and click ok. This will run the system file checker, and corrupted or
incorrect versions will be replaced with fresh ones from the I386 folder on
the hard drive or installation CD.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ms. greenhorn" <ms. greenhorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> help center says i probably have a corrupt file and need to reinstall OS.
> how much back up do i need - just data or start-up/re-boot info. and is
> it
> very hard to move back-up stuff to external drive? am really new at this
> and
> don't know where to start.

not sure first msg. got through, so thanks, again, for your answer - i will
try asap.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No need to reload. Click start/run, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)
> and click ok. This will run the system file checker, and corrupted or
> incorrect versions will be replaced with fresh ones from the I386 folder on
> the hard drive or installation CD.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "ms. greenhorn" <ms. greenhorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > help center says i probably have a corrupt file and need to reinstall OS.
> > how much back up do i need - just data or start-up/re-boot info. and is
> > it
> > very hard to move back-up stuff to external drive? am really new at this
> > and
> > don't know where to start.

hey, rick, i tried to run the scan using "sfc/scannow" (no quotes) and notice
said cannot find sfc/scannow, so i tried just scannow, and just sfc, but
nada. then entered "system check" which took me to all kinds of files and
drivers, etc. any advice? thanks.

On 25/01/2005 ms. greenhorn wrote:

> hey, rick, i tried to run the scan using "sfc/scannow" (no quotes)
> and notice said cannot find sfc/scannow, so i tried just scannow, and
> just sfc, but nada. then entered "system check" which took me to all
> kinds of files and drivers, etc. any advice? thanks.

In case Rick's busy it's sfc /scannow - there is a space in there
between sfc (the name of the program) and /scannow (which is a
parameter for the program).

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2