dickie

My LAptop PC went gaga, so I have had to re-install the software. Although I
need to use a different XP disk (OEM installation) I was hoping that the
code shown on the PC would work. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to
install XP from a disk, not supplied with the computer BUT using the XP code
shown on the computer label......

Thanx

The Windows XP Product Key will only work with your
laptop's Restore CD. It will not work with any other XP CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> The Windows XP Product Key will only work with your
> laptop's Restore CD. It will not work with any other XP CD.

I am not so sure about that, there is a good chance a non-branded OEM XP CD
will accept the branded OEM product key. Using another OEM's branded XP CD
might not work, but I would try it anyway.
The media used to install is not a factor if it accepts the PK and it would
be a valid licensed XP as long as it is still installed on the original
computer.
Branded XP CD's usually add proprietary drivers to the OEM CD's that will
only install on systems that have the hardware and the bios lock means it
will require activation on systems where the bios is not recognized. This
will require a fresh valid PK.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Dickie wrote:
> My LAptop PC went gaga, so I have had to re-install the software. Although I
> need to use a different XP disk (OEM installation) I was hoping that the
> code shown on the PC would work. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to
> install XP from a disk, not supplied with the computer BUT using the XP code
> shown on the computer label......
>
> Thanx

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice
versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD,
and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm