applications are opening in wordpad

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of gibberish.
At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
reason, everything is set to open in dos.
I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
mentioned issue.
6 answers Last reply
More about applications opening wordpad
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
    spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty difficult
    to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
    hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
    needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the infection.
    --
    Ted Zieglar


    "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
    > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
    > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    gibberish.
    > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
    > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
    > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
    > mentioned issue.
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi Ted,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I had
    recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still get
    messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I tried to
    rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
    programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
    indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that many of
    the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making them
    unreadable.
    I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't seem
    to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from microsoft
    so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
    that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad issue.
    I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I really
    need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
    > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty difficult
    > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
    > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
    > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the infection.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    >
    > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
    > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
    > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    > gibberish.
    > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
    > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
    > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
    > > mentioned issue.
    > >
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    OK, let's work on the problem. Nobody would confuse me with a nerd, although
    some would like to call me a similar sounding name beginning with 't'.

    When troubleshooting, always start with the easier solutions first.
    Repairing Windows is not easy, so we'll cross that bridge only if we need
    to.

    You say that you're still getting messages indicating that you have a virus.
    Do the messages say which virus it is? If you can come up with a name for
    the virus, you can find detailed removal instructions on the internet.

    First, some finger wagging: To be effective, antivirus software must be
    installed on your computer; it must start at bootup and remain running in
    the background at all times; and it must be constantly updated (daily is not
    too often.) If you think of yourself as a novice, then move all the settings
    to the maximum.

    When an antivirus program is used as above, and you're up to date with
    Windows Update, it's very unlikely that you will get a virus. Not all
    antivirus programs are equally effective, but none is a total loser. I don't
    know much about AVG, so I can't comment. I have experience with Norton
    AntiVirus and PC_cillin, and both are virtually impenetrable.

    If you can come up with a name for the virus, you can go to the web sites of
    the major antivirus organizations and get specific removal instructions. The
    instructions are usually pretty scary, but that's your best choice right
    now. A tip: Different antivirus organizations can give the same virus
    different names.

    Here are some of the places you can look:

    Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia Search
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/

    Symantec Security Response
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

    --
    Ted Zieglar


    "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:CA6FBC21-D273-4E3C-AFF5-C41A40DA4E2E@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Ted,
    > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I had
    > recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still get

    > messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I tried
    to
    > rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
    > programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
    > indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that many of
    > the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
    them
    > unreadable.
    > I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
    seem
    > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
    microsoft
    > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
    > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
    issue.
    > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
    really
    > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
    > > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
    difficult
    > > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
    > > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
    > > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the
    infection.
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > >
    > > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
    > > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them.
    When I
    > > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    > > gibberish.
    > > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
    > > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair
    xp
    > > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the
    above
    > > > mentioned issue.
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I agree totally. Installing the xp repair is my last option in my mind. I am
    able to do a 'workaround' and open some of the programs, but I have to open
    the 'open this program with..' list to do so. I can access the web and many
    of the applications so I am still in good shape to try some other things.
    The viruses. I think I may have more problems here than I think. I will do a
    search on them on the web. I have a feeling they are the type that are more
    annoying than devastating, but i will do my best to remove. I had one virus
    program running at bootup, and another running once windows was
    loaded....however that has stopped since task bar programs began opening up
    in wordpad when windows loaded. but it seemed to pick up a virus in every
    file it scanned and gave me options of what do to...which I wasn't sure of in
    all cases.
    Here is what I am going to do. Scan for viruses using Norton. I am not
    totally confident in AVG although it has been good in the past. Once I am
    sure the virus(es) are removed, I'll work on the windows/console/wordpad
    issue...which I have a feeling may require repairing windows if files were
    removed accidentally in my last boot up virus scan (after which the problems
    started).
    Worse case scenario, I will reinstall xp using the boot disc program I
    downloaded from microsoft (I am unable to access BIOS for some reason to
    change my boot drive to the CD)
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep the forum posted on my results.

    Richard

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > OK, let's work on the problem. Nobody would confuse me with a nerd, although
    > some would like to call me a similar sounding name beginning with 't'.
    >
    > When troubleshooting, always start with the easier solutions first.
    > Repairing Windows is not easy, so we'll cross that bridge only if we need
    > to.
    >
    > You say that you're still getting messages indicating that you have a virus.
    > Do the messages say which virus it is? If you can come up with a name for
    > the virus, you can find detailed removal instructions on the internet.
    >
    > First, some finger wagging: To be effective, antivirus software must be
    > installed on your computer; it must start at bootup and remain running in
    > the background at all times; and it must be constantly updated (daily is not
    > too often.) If you think of yourself as a novice, then move all the settings
    > to the maximum.
    >
    > When an antivirus program is used as above, and you're up to date with
    > Windows Update, it's very unlikely that you will get a virus. Not all
    > antivirus programs are equally effective, but none is a total loser. I don't
    > know much about AVG, so I can't comment. I have experience with Norton
    > AntiVirus and PC_cillin, and both are virtually impenetrable.
    >
    > If you can come up with a name for the virus, you can go to the web sites of
    > the major antivirus organizations and get specific removal instructions. The
    > instructions are usually pretty scary, but that's your best choice right
    > now. A tip: Different antivirus organizations can give the same virus
    > different names.
    >
    > Here are some of the places you can look:
    >
    > Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia Search
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/
    >
    > Symantec Security Response
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    >
    > "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:CA6FBC21-D273-4E3C-AFF5-C41A40DA4E2E@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi Ted,
    > > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I had
    > > recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still get
    >
    > > messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I tried
    > to
    > > rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
    > > programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
    > > indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that many of
    > > the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
    > them
    > > unreadable.
    > > I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
    > seem
    > > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
    > microsoft
    > > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
    > > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
    > issue.
    > > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
    > really
    > > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
    > > > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
    > difficult
    > > > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
    > > > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
    > > > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the
    > infection.
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > > > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
    > > > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them.
    > When I
    > > > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    > > > gibberish.
    > > > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
    > > > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > > > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair
    > xp
    > > > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the
    > above
    > > > > mentioned issue.
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for the update. Please let us know how things are going. (Continue
    this thread, or at least enough of it so that we'll remember who you are.)
    You've probably found Symantec's online virus scanner, but just in case:

    http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

    ....and here is Trend Micro's version, called 'House Call':

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    --
    Ted Zieglar


    "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:99A0AFBC-5426-47CC-935B-B487172D9838@microsoft.com...
    > I agree totally. Installing the xp repair is my last option in my mind. I
    am
    > able to do a 'workaround' and open some of the programs, but I have to
    open
    > the 'open this program with..' list to do so. I can access the web and
    many
    > of the applications so I am still in good shape to try some other things.
    > The viruses. I think I may have more problems here than I think. I will do
    a
    > search on them on the web. I have a feeling they are the type that are
    more
    > annoying than devastating, but i will do my best to remove. I had one
    virus
    > program running at bootup, and another running once windows was
    > loaded....however that has stopped since task bar programs began opening
    up
    > in wordpad when windows loaded. but it seemed to pick up a virus in every
    > file it scanned and gave me options of what do to...which I wasn't sure of
    in
    > all cases.
    > Here is what I am going to do. Scan for viruses using Norton. I am not
    > totally confident in AVG although it has been good in the past. Once I am
    > sure the virus(es) are removed, I'll work on the windows/console/wordpad
    > issue...which I have a feeling may require repairing windows if files were
    > removed accidentally in my last boot up virus scan (after which the
    problems
    > started).
    > Worse case scenario, I will reinstall xp using the boot disc program I
    > downloaded from microsoft (I am unable to access BIOS for some reason to
    > change my boot drive to the CD)
    > Thanks for the advice. I will keep the forum posted on my results.
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > OK, let's work on the problem. Nobody would confuse me with a nerd,
    although
    > > some would like to call me a similar sounding name beginning with 't'.
    > >
    > > When troubleshooting, always start with the easier solutions first.
    > > Repairing Windows is not easy, so we'll cross that bridge only if we
    need
    > > to.
    > >
    > > You say that you're still getting messages indicating that you have a
    virus.
    > > Do the messages say which virus it is? If you can come up with a name
    for
    > > the virus, you can find detailed removal instructions on the internet.
    > >
    > > First, some finger wagging: To be effective, antivirus software must be
    > > installed on your computer; it must start at bootup and remain running
    in
    > > the background at all times; and it must be constantly updated (daily is
    not
    > > too often.) If you think of yourself as a novice, then move all the
    settings
    > > to the maximum.
    > >
    > > When an antivirus program is used as above, and you're up to date with
    > > Windows Update, it's very unlikely that you will get a virus. Not all
    > > antivirus programs are equally effective, but none is a total loser. I
    don't
    > > know much about AVG, so I can't comment. I have experience with Norton
    > > AntiVirus and PC_cillin, and both are virtually impenetrable.
    > >
    > > If you can come up with a name for the virus, you can go to the web
    sites of
    > > the major antivirus organizations and get specific removal instructions.
    The
    > > instructions are usually pretty scary, but that's your best choice right
    > > now. A tip: Different antivirus organizations can give the same virus
    > > different names.
    > >
    > > Here are some of the places you can look:
    > >
    > > Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia Search
    > > http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/
    > >
    > > Symantec Security Response
    > > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > >
    > > "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:CA6FBC21-D273-4E3C-AFF5-C41A40DA4E2E@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi Ted,
    > > > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I
    had
    > > > recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still
    get
    > >
    > > > messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I
    tried
    > > to
    > > > rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
    > > > programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
    > > > indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that
    many of
    > > > the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
    > > them
    > > > unreadable.
    > > > I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
    > > seem
    > > > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
    > > microsoft
    > > > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am
    worried
    > > > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
    > > issue.
    > > > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
    > > really
    > > > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
    > > >
    > > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus
    or
    > > > > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
    > > difficult
    > > > > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or
    spyware by
    > > > > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware
    software
    > > > > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the
    > > infection.
    > > > > --
    > > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > > news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > > > > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel
    etc)
    > > > > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click
    them.
    > > When I
    > > > > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    > > > > gibberish.
    > > > > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For
    some
    > > > > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > > > > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows
    repair
    > > xp
    > > > > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the
    > > above
    > > > > > mentioned issue.
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Update
    :I ended up running the repair xp install. It solved many of my problems. I
    also installed microsoft beta spyware remover...which seems to do a good job.
    Also, I am running a virus scan at boot up. Thanks again for your help!

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Thanks for the update. Please let us know how things are going. (Continue
    > this thread, or at least enough of it so that we'll remember who you are.)
    > You've probably found Symantec's online virus scanner, but just in case:
    >
    > http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > ....and here is Trend Micro's version, called 'House Call':
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    >
    > "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:99A0AFBC-5426-47CC-935B-B487172D9838@microsoft.com...
    > > I agree totally. Installing the xp repair is my last option in my mind. I
    > am
    > > able to do a 'workaround' and open some of the programs, but I have to
    > open
    > > the 'open this program with..' list to do so. I can access the web and
    > many
    > > of the applications so I am still in good shape to try some other things.
    > > The viruses. I think I may have more problems here than I think. I will do
    > a
    > > search on them on the web. I have a feeling they are the type that are
    > more
    > > annoying than devastating, but i will do my best to remove. I had one
    > virus
    > > program running at bootup, and another running once windows was
    > > loaded....however that has stopped since task bar programs began opening
    > up
    > > in wordpad when windows loaded. but it seemed to pick up a virus in every
    > > file it scanned and gave me options of what do to...which I wasn't sure of
    > in
    > > all cases.
    > > Here is what I am going to do. Scan for viruses using Norton. I am not
    > > totally confident in AVG although it has been good in the past. Once I am
    > > sure the virus(es) are removed, I'll work on the windows/console/wordpad
    > > issue...which I have a feeling may require repairing windows if files were
    > > removed accidentally in my last boot up virus scan (after which the
    > problems
    > > started).
    > > Worse case scenario, I will reinstall xp using the boot disc program I
    > > downloaded from microsoft (I am unable to access BIOS for some reason to
    > > change my boot drive to the CD)
    > > Thanks for the advice. I will keep the forum posted on my results.
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK, let's work on the problem. Nobody would confuse me with a nerd,
    > although
    > > > some would like to call me a similar sounding name beginning with 't'.
    > > >
    > > > When troubleshooting, always start with the easier solutions first.
    > > > Repairing Windows is not easy, so we'll cross that bridge only if we
    > need
    > > > to.
    > > >
    > > > You say that you're still getting messages indicating that you have a
    > virus.
    > > > Do the messages say which virus it is? If you can come up with a name
    > for
    > > > the virus, you can find detailed removal instructions on the internet.
    > > >
    > > > First, some finger wagging: To be effective, antivirus software must be
    > > > installed on your computer; it must start at bootup and remain running
    > in
    > > > the background at all times; and it must be constantly updated (daily is
    > not
    > > > too often.) If you think of yourself as a novice, then move all the
    > settings
    > > > to the maximum.
    > > >
    > > > When an antivirus program is used as above, and you're up to date with
    > > > Windows Update, it's very unlikely that you will get a virus. Not all
    > > > antivirus programs are equally effective, but none is a total loser. I
    > don't
    > > > know much about AVG, so I can't comment. I have experience with Norton
    > > > AntiVirus and PC_cillin, and both are virtually impenetrable.
    > > >
    > > > If you can come up with a name for the virus, you can go to the web
    > sites of
    > > > the major antivirus organizations and get specific removal instructions.
    > The
    > > > instructions are usually pretty scary, but that's your best choice right
    > > > now. A tip: Different antivirus organizations can give the same virus
    > > > different names.
    > > >
    > > > Here are some of the places you can look:
    > > >
    > > > Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia Search
    > > > http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/
    > > >
    > > > Symantec Security Response
    > > > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Richie" <Richie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:CA6FBC21-D273-4E3C-AFF5-C41A40DA4E2E@microsoft.com...
    > > > > Hi Ted,
    > > > > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I
    > had
    > > > > recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still
    > get
    > > >
    > > > > messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I
    > tried
    > > > to
    > > > > rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
    > > > > programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
    > > > > indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that
    > many of
    > > > > the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
    > > > them
    > > > > unreadable.
    > > > > I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
    > > > seem
    > > > > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
    > > > microsoft
    > > > > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am
    > worried
    > > > > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
    > > > issue.
    > > > > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
    > > > really
    > > > > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
    > > > >
    > > > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus
    > or
    > > > > > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
    > > > difficult
    > > > > > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or
    > spyware by
    > > > > > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware
    > software
    > > > > > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the
    > > > infection.
    > > > > > --
    > > > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > > > news:6CF62616-584B-417E-842A-10604E8AFEE5@microsoft.com...
    > > > > > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel
    > etc)
    > > > > > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click
    > them.
    > > > When I
    > > > > > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
    > > > > > gibberish.
    > > > > > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For
    > some
    > > > > > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
    > > > > > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows
    > repair
    > > > xp
    > > > > > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the
    > > > above
    > > > > > > mentioned issue.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP