applications are opening in wordpad

I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of gibberish.
At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
reason, everything is set to open in dos.
I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
mentioned issue.

Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty difficult
to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the infection.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
> insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
> select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
gibberish.
> At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
> reason, everything is set to open in dos.
> I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
> option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
> mentioned issue.

Hi Ted,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I had
recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still get
messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I tried to
rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that many of
the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making them
unreadable.
I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't seem
to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from microsoft
so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad issue.
I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I really
need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
> spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty difficult
> to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
> hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
> needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the infection.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
> > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them. When I
> > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
> gibberish.
> > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
> > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
> > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair xp
> > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the above
> > mentioned issue.

OK, let's work on the problem. Nobody would confuse me with a nerd, although
some would like to call me a similar sounding name beginning with 't'.

When troubleshooting, always start with the easier solutions first.
Repairing Windows is not easy, so we'll cross that bridge only if we need
to.

You say that you're still getting messages indicating that you have a virus.
Do the messages say which virus it is? If you can come up with a name for
the virus, you can find detailed removal instructions on the internet.

First, some finger wagging: To be effective, antivirus software must be
installed on your computer; it must start at bootup and remain running in
the background at all times; and it must be constantly updated (daily is not
too often.) If you think of yourself as a novice, then move all the settings
to the maximum.

When an antivirus program is used as above, and you're up to date with
Windows Update, it's very unlikely that you will get a virus. Not all
antivirus programs are equally effective, but none is a total loser. I don't
know much about AVG, so I can't comment. I have experience with Norton
AntiVirus and PC_cillin, and both are virtually impenetrable.

If you can come up with a name for the virus, you can go to the web sites of
the major antivirus organizations and get specific removal instructions. The
instructions are usually pretty scary, but that's your best choice right
now. A tip: Different antivirus organizations can give the same virus
different names.

Here are some of the places you can look:

Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia Search
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/

Symantec Security Response
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

--

> Hi Ted,
> Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been having issues with viruses. I had
> recently ran avg, and antispyware software to remove viruses. I still get

> messages indicating I have a virus which I previously had removed. I tried
> rectify this by clearing the cache, problem is many of the windows
> programs/accessories etc are unusable because they won't open in their
> indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that many of
> the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
them
> unreadable.
> I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
seem
> to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
microsoft
> so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
> that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
issue.
> I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
really
> need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
> > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
difficult
> > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
> > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
> > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the
infection.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "Richie" <Richie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have an issue with programs (desktop, start menu, control panel etc)
> > > insisting on opening in wordpad when I select or double click them.
When I
> > > select the program or task, a wordpad window opens with a bunch of
> > gibberish.
> > > At the top reads "this program is unable to open/run in dos). For some
> > > reason, everything is set to open in dos.
> > > I have tried to rectify the problem by installing the windows repair
xp
> > > option, but the problem is I can't get that to work because of the
above
> > > mentioned issue.

I agree totally. Installing the xp repair is my last option in my mind. I am
able to do a 'workaround' and open some of the programs, but I have to open
the 'open this program with..' list to do so. I can access the web and many
of the applications so I am still in good shape to try some other things.
The viruses. I think I may have more problems here than I think. I will do a
search on them on the web. I have a feeling they are the type that are more
annoying than devastating, but i will do my best to remove. I had one virus
program running at bootup, and another running once windows was
loaded....however that has stopped since task bar programs began opening up
in wordpad when windows loaded. but it seemed to pick up a virus in every
file it scanned and gave me options of what do to...which I wasn't sure of in
all cases.
Here is what I am going to do. Scan for viruses using Norton. I am not
totally confident in AVG although it has been good in the past. Once I am
sure the virus(es) are removed, I'll work on the windows/console/wordpad
issue...which I have a feeling may require repairing windows if files were
removed accidentally in my last boot up virus scan (after which the problems
started).
Worse case scenario, I will reinstall xp using the boot disc program I
downloaded from microsoft (I am unable to access BIOS for some reason to
change my boot drive to the CD)
Thanks for the advice. I will keep the forum posted on my results.

Richard

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> [...]
> > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
> microsoft
> > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am worried
> > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
> issue.
> > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
> really
> > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >
> > > Do this first: Be 100% sure that your computer does not have a virus or
> > > spyware. I say "100%" because spyware in particular can be mighty
> difficult
> > > to identify. And if you previously tried to remove a virus or spyware by
> > > hand you may have gotten the part that antivirus or antispyware software
> > > needs to identify the problem without removing the rest of the

Thanks for the update. Please let us know how things are going. (Continue
this thread, or at least enough of it so that we'll remember who you are.)
You've probably found Symantec's online virus scanner, but just in case:

http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

....and here is Trend Micro's version, called 'House Call':

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

--

> [...]
> > > indended application (they open in wordpad). I have a feeling that
many of
> > > the pop up windows messages are also trying to open in wordpad, making
> > them
> > > unreadable.
> > > I also ran a repair on the registry (after backing it up) which didn't
> > seem
> > > to solve the problem. I just downloaded the boot disk program from
> > microsoft
> > > so I can run the xp repair and ststart from scratch. However I am
worried
> > > that I won't be able to create the boot disks because of the wordpad
> > issue.
> > > I'm really stumped here...trying hard not to call 'nerds on site'. I
> > really
> > > need to fix this as my system is my livlihood :(

Update
:I ended up running the repair xp install. It solved many of my problems. I
also installed microsoft beta spyware remover...which seems to do a good job.
Also, I am running a virus scan at boot up. Thanks again for your help!