Sign in with
Your question

Why are less pc games being ported from the consoles

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2009 8:54:40 AM

where is condemned 2? gears of war 2? metal gear solid 4?

More about : games ported consoles

January 11, 2009 10:45:19 AM

Its mainly because games are easily pirated on the pc which means they lose profits but recently fallout 3(x360) and gears of war 2 could be downloaded weeks b4 release. BTW u should add killzone 2
January 11, 2009 10:47:35 AM

GoW2 should be on its way should it not?
Bah...i didnt pick it up on Xbox coz i wanted my 1st playthrough to be on PC.

Related resources
January 11, 2009 10:51:28 AM

i read something about gow 2 for pc but i doubt it, i just wish mgs 4 and killzone 2 is released on pc
January 11, 2009 1:20:23 PM

since there is alot more choice on pc it is harder to get the same sales figues (UT3 sold 100,000+ on pc but 3,500,000 on PS3) and also some of these games are made by sony or microsoft owned devs
January 13, 2009 1:33:05 AM

darthvaderkenneth said:
Its mainly because games are easily pirated on the pc which means they lose profits but recently fallout 3(x360) and gears of war 2 could be downloaded weeks b4 release. BTW u should add killzone 2

well isnt it just as easy to pirate xbox 360, ds and psp games? Yet outside of the psp those system's games sell a crapload. And most psp user son gamefaqs and pspfanboy.com claim piracy on it is a myth in regards to the reasons game son it dont sell well:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=918...

"For all of you who say the PSP isnt getting any new good games is that it is due to piracy, then you all would be wrong. I mean look at other thing like the PS2 for example or the Xbox, their always are pirates and will be pirates but the PS2 has some of the greatest games ever for it. So I really dont think Piracy is due for the fact of having the PSP low number of releases for it. But that what i think and also on another note SquareEnix's new game has sold over a quarter of a million copies the first day supposedly."

"Listen too Kurgan fools.

He KNOWS what he is talking about.

People always look at the small picture instead of the big one.

People also like to claim Piracy killed the Dreamcast when it was a nil factor. It was SEGA'S OWN PAST MISTAKES THAT KILLED DREAMCAST.
But nope, you always get fools like Peng1n who continue to this day say Piracy is to blame, even when present with the facts that it's not what caused it.

Same with PSP.

If you don't advertise it doesn't sell.

Look at the 360, there are always commercials for random games, and even the console itself. How many PS3 ones have there been? Pretty much nil. Last one I saw was advertising MGS4 and even then it was just a quick flash and it was done int about 10 seconds (I actually timed it)
That's it.

Sony itself is responsible for all it's current problems, NO ONE ELSE IS TO BLAME.
That is FACT
Deal with it and move on."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=918...

"Simpy put, there is nothing that os "hack-proof". Blu-Ray was hacked within hours of it's public release.

As far as anything from Microsft being safe from hacking, it isn't a coincidence that most hackers target Microsft systems. Hacker could just as easlily hack OS X or any open-source OS, yet MS continues to be their favorite target. I believe that this is not just due to the majority of households running Windows; however, it is a hacker's disdain for Microsoft's arrogance in their claim of PC system domination.

I don't even run anti-cirus on my Mac's or my Linux systems; however my XP SP2 system, (which is as far as I will ever go in updating an OS from MS), has anti-virus and anti-spyware loading at start-up, even though I know that even that will not protect my systems from a dedicated attack."

"Oh and in regards to "mod chips", I'm guessing that half of the PSP pirates would actually go that far for free games. I remember when CFW was still allowed. Half of those morons barely even knew how to install CFW. I can only imagine them trying to open up and solder a chip to their PSP."

January 13, 2009 1:33:53 AM

so basically why do psp users constantly claim the reason hardly any psp games come out anymore isn't due to piracy while pc users (whose games sell a lot more) are like completely opposite?
January 13, 2009 11:44:26 AM

drkailinium said:
since there is alot more choice on pc it is harder to get the same sales figues (UT3 sold 100,000+ on pc but 3,500,000 on PS3) and also some of these games are made by sony or microsoft owned devs

You really ought to get your facts straight before post them. Unreal Tournament 3 sold that in the first few weeks, by May 2008 the game had sold just over a 1 million units worldwide on both the PS3 and PC so i don't know where you got that 3.5 million crap from. A big deal was made of the fact that in week 1 in the US Unreal Tournment sold something like 40,000 and Crysis 85,000 in there first week and this was seen by some as a reflection of the PC games market. Firstly these are US sales number not worldwide, in Europe and the rest of the world PC gaming is alive and well, secondly PC gamers aren't the type to rush out and buy every new title the second it comes out, everyone knew Crysis was going to be system killer so I reckon a lot of buyers waited until benchmarks came out before buying the game. Crysis has now sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide.

This thread is nothing but an excuse to troll and wind people up. Metal Gear Solid is a console game I'm surprised they bothered porting the first two games to the PC to be honest.
Anonymous
January 14, 2009 7:42:19 AM

JeanLuc said:
You really ought to get your facts straight before post them. Unreal Tournament 3 sold that in the first few weeks, by May 2008 the game had sold just over a 1 million units worldwide on both the PS3 and PC so i don't know where you got that 3.5 million crap from. A big deal was made of the fact that in week 1 in the US Unreal Tournment sold something like 40,000 and Crysis 85,000 in there first week and this was seen by some as a reflection of the PC games market. Firstly these are US sales number not worldwide, in Europe and the rest of the world PC gaming is alive and well, secondly PC gamers aren't the type to rush out and buy every new title the second it comes out, everyone knew Crysis was going to be system killer so I reckon a lot of buyers waited until benchmarks came out before buying the game. Crysis has now sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide.

This thread is nothing but an excuse to troll and wind people up. Metal Gear Solid is a console game I'm surprised they bothered porting the first two games to the PC to be honest.

Agreed..

Gears 2 probably will make it to the pc in a few months (wheres the ps3 version of gears lol)

Comparing the PC against all console exclusives is absurd. Console exclusives and ease of use are the only thing consoles have going in favor of them. Asides that PC all the way.

January 14, 2009 8:40:30 PM

I believe fewer games are being ported to the PC (or made on the PC first, for that matter) because many developers are perceiving that the PC market is harder to get into, or more discerning, or under the illusion that it's smaller than it is. And as most market-related executives have proven time and again, they will always try to go for the easiest target market.

Piracy is a mostly nil factor; it's just as easy to pirate games on a console as a PC. In fact, quite arguably easier, since console discs tend to lack most forms of copy-protection and DRM schemes that pervade almost all PC titles; the publishers just assume that because the console itself can't make copies, somehow people won't pirate them, even though the discs themselves come on easily-replicated, ordinary DVD-ROM format discs. At worst, a simple software tweak, which can be easily hiden, is all that's necessary to exploit the inner workings of a console to make it play pirated games.

The reality of the matter is, most developers seem to not be quite smart enough to understand the PC market fully. It's far harder to grasp than the console markets, which have a very clear brand image, and hence a clear archetype, (however untrue it may be, as evidenced by the Wii) that tends to guide the sort of games developed for it; the Xbox 360's players get the stereotype of the college frat boy crowd, hyped up on caffeine from Mt. Dew and energy drinks, testosterone, and adrenaline; hence, people think primarily of all those FPS games when they think of the console, from Gears of War to Halo 3 to Call of Duty 4 to Rainbow Six: Vegas to Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, with of course some team-sports games (such as the perennially successful Madden NFL series) thrown in for good measure. The PC market, even to such 2-bit minds, is readily apparent that it's not quite so easily plastered with a clear stereotype, no matter how wrong it may be.

As a result, way too many developers act way too cautiously, hence surrendering their opportunities from this market. Meanwhile, other companies make a killing here; Blizzard Entertainment immediately pops to mind here.
January 15, 2009 7:35:16 AM

I don’t believe there are fewer games coming out on the PC, if anything there are more and more titles which increases competition but floods the market, at some point a few developers will fall by the wayside just from shear competition. Look at what’s happing with Funcom the makers of Age of Conan, they have sacked their CEO, axed staff and turned off a lot of servers. That game had nearly a million subscribers at one point but quickly went down to around 400,000.

Look at how many big name titles came out for the PC is H2 2008,

Red Alert 3
Fallout 3
GTA IV
X3 Terrain Conflict
World of Warcraft: Lich King
Crysis Warhead
Far Cry 2
Call of Duty 5
Left 4 Dead
Spore
‘Sim 2 expansions’
World of Goo
Need for Speed Underground
Tomb Raider: Underworld
The Witcher Enhanced Edition

There are a lot of games on that list that I want to play but I simply don’t have the time to play them all. I’ve brought the Witcher and that will last me at least a month or two, after that I want to get X3 if that’s good that will keep me occupied for another two months. Then I might by Far Cry 2 which will probably hold my interest for about month, by the time I’m finished those three titles it will already be July 2009, and I haven’t even brought GTA, CoD 5, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3 etc and there will games from this I’ll want to play as well like Empire Total War, Star Trek Online, Diablo 3 and the new Company of Heroes games.

PC gamers tend to have a longer attention span then a console gamer and as a result he will buy less games, Blizzard are aware of this and this one of the reason why they are so successful with World of Warcraft.
January 15, 2009 12:20:27 PM

darthvaderkenneth said:

I think it's more that its perceived that its easily pirated on the PC. Hit any torrent site and you'll see the 360 version of most of those games listed. Hackers even made a point to toss GOW2 up a week before its release to show the guys at Epic that any of those platforms have pirated games on them, not just the PC.
!