Adding audio card

A year or so ago I put an audio card on my son's computer, that had the
audio and video on the motherboard when we bought it. I had a
relatively major crash that was related to corrupted files in the boot
record, and I had to do a full recovery, reformatting the disk. I can't
find the driver disks for the audio card, but found some on the internet
and installed them. I recall when I first installed the audio card I
had to disable the built in audio to make it work, but I can't recall
how it was done. Any suggestions?

On 19/01/2005 Richard Ward wrote:

> A year or so ago I put an audio card on my son's computer, that had
> the audio and video on the motherboard when we bought it. I had a
> relatively major crash that was related to corrupted files in the
> boot record, and I had to do a full recovery, reformatting the disk.
> I can't find the driver disks for the audio card, but found some on
> the internet and installed them. I recall when I first installed the
> audio card I had to disable the built in audio to make it work, but I
> can't recall how it was done. Any suggestions?

Hi Richard

You'll need to go into the BIOS on boot up, usually by pressing the F1
or Delete key.

You'll need to mosey around in there, these things are always in
different places :)

If it was already disabled then it's unlikely that a crash will have
re-enabled it but it's worth a check.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

To be 100% sure, you should contact the manufacturer of the computer.
However, the manufacturer will almost certainly explain it this way:

To disable on-board audio, go into the BIOS. There you will see a setting
that enables or disables the on-board audio.

I understand that the most recent generation of hardware will do this for
you automatically when you install a sound card into the computer.

Mind if I stick my nose into other matters? To get the most recent drivers
for the sound card - and you're looking for Windows XP-compatible drivers -
go to the web site of the manufacturer of the sound card. There you will
also find detailed instructions for installing the sound card and its
drivers, which you should follow carefully.

--
Ted Zieglar