Microsoft Word missing??? No Java???

Hi,
I just bought new Gateway laptop. I cannot find Microsoft Word on it. I only
have Microsoft Works Word Processor. Is it the same program? Does it work the
same way? Does it have the same features? Sure icon looks different. Do I
need to buy Microsoft Word? My older Gateway laptop has both of these
programs. I sent email to Gateway Support but did not get an naswer.
And another thing. My laptop came without java. I had to download it from
the Internet. Is it normal now, that laptops come without some of the basic
programs?
Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Marzena

Unless you ordered, and paid for, Microsoft Word, it is not
included with the Windows XP operating system. You can purchase
Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office at your favorite store
that sells computer software.

Also, Microsoft does not now have its own Java. You did
the correct thing by downloading it from the internet.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Marzena wrote:
> Hi,
> I just bought new Gateway laptop. I cannot find Microsoft Word on it.

Did you order Word to be installed as part of the purchase when you
ordered the laptop? Does your invoice indicate that you paid for Word?

> I only
> have Microsoft Works Word Processor. Is it the same program?

No.

> Does it work the
> same way?

No.

> Does it have the same features?

No.

> Do I
> need to buy Microsoft Word?

If you want to use it, yes, certainly you'll need to buy it.

Neither the Microsoft Office application suite, nor any of its
individual component applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access,
Outlook, etc.), have _ever_ been "part" of *any* Windows operating
system. They are, and always have been, separate applications, that
must be purchased and installed separately.

> My older Gateway laptop has both of these
> programs.

Then you ordered that older computer that way, and paid extra for Word
to be included.

> And another thing. My laptop came without java. I had to download it from
> the Internet. Is it normal now, that laptops come without some of the basic
> programs?

Perfectly normal. As the result of a lawsuit by Sun Microsystems, and
the ensuing settlement, Microsoft was not allowed to provide its own
Java Virtual Machine to Windows XP users. You can get almost the same
functionality by downloading Sun's version of Java from
http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html. If you want the wider website
compatibility of Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine, it is still available
from a lot of 3rd-party web sites, one of which is here:
http://www.virtualmachine.tk/.

If you do choose the Microsoft JVM, be sure to apply a needed
security patch.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-011.asp
(Prevents the Trojan.ByteVerify issue)

Patch available here:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Gordon

Marzena wrote:
> Hi,
> I just bought new Gateway laptop. I cannot find Microsoft Word on it. I only
> have Microsoft Works Word Processor. Is it the same program? Does it work the
> same way? Does it have the same features? Sure icon looks different. Do I
> need to buy Microsoft Word? My older Gateway laptop has both of these
> programs. I sent email to Gateway Support but did not get an naswer.
> And another thing. My laptop came without java. I had to download it from
> the Internet. Is it normal now, that laptops come without some of the basic
> programs?
> Your advice will be highly appreciated.
> Marzena

Word is part of MS Office and has never been part of Windows. It was on
your old machine because the vendor bundled it. Specifications of
machines change. You will either have to buy it, or stick with Works.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have Microsoft Word on old laptop. I also have original disc. Can I
install that MW on my new laptop? Is it legal???
Marzena

Marzena wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I have Microsoft Word on old laptop. I also have original disc. Can I
> install that MW on my new laptop? Is it legal???
> Marzena

Is it a retail or an OEM CD? A retail license may be transfered to a
new computer, but an OEM license may not.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Since you have only one Microsoft Word license,
you would have to uninstall it from the laptop
before installing it on your new PC.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Marzena" wrote:

| Hi,
| Thanks for your reply.
| I have Microsoft Word on old laptop. I also have original disc. Can I
| install that MW on my new laptop? Is it legal???
| Marzena

You can legally install Word on the new laptop so long as you uninstall it
from the old laptop. Word 97 and later work fine with XP.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Marzena" <Marzena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I have Microsoft Word on old laptop. I also have original disc. Can I
> install that MW on my new laptop? Is it legal???
> Marzena

Hi,
That's not a problem since I will use only new laptop. Old one is for my son
to play some games. After uninstalling MW on old laptop and installing on new
laptop how do I register it? And one more q. - All my MW documents saved on
external drive turned into Microsoft Works Word documents after I copied them
on my new laptop. I use briefcase program to update documents on both drives.
How do I switch to MW after installing it?
TY
Marzena

Me again...

Ty for your reply.
I have MW 2000. Are there any later updates to this program? Where do I
download them from? Can I do it for free?
Marzena

Yes (MW 2001, MW 2002, etc.); You have to buy the newer version; No.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

On 19/01/2005 Marzena wrote:

> Hi,
> That's not a problem since I will use only new laptop. Old one is for
> my son to play some games. After uninstalling MW on old laptop and
> installing on new laptop how do I register it? And one more q. - All
> my MW documents saved on external drive turned into Microsoft Works
> Word documents after I copied them on my new laptop. I use briefcase
> program to update documents on both drives. How do I switch to MW
> after installing it? TY
> Marzena

The files won't have been converted, it's just that since you have
Works rather than Word on the new PC then XP has allocated the Works
icon to the files.

Installing Word will change the association but to be really sure you
could use Add/Remove program to un-install Works.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2

Marzena wrote:

>I just bought new Gateway laptop. I cannot find Microsoft Word on it. I only
>have Microsoft Works Word Processor. Is it the same program? Does it work the
>same way? Does it have the same features? Sure icon looks different. Do I
>need to buy Microsoft Word?

Word, which is part of MS Office is not part of any version of Windows.
What comes bundled with the machine is up to the maker. Sounds as if
they have bundled Works. a different more elementary program, You will
need to get a proper copy of Word, either stand alone or as part of an
Office package (expensive) or it does now come as part of the 'Works
*Suite*.

Java is no longer supplied with Microsoft products; get the official Sun
version from http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

Unless you paid for and bought MS Word or MS Office suite, no it won't be
on the computer (unless you bought it (OEM version) as a 'bundled' package
along with the PC.....you would have the disks for it.

Works and Word are not the same program.

Java - that issue came about by Sun Systems suing Microsoft over Microsoft
Java vs Sun Java (I think that's behind the reason(s) anyway) therefore XP
does not come with JVM.

You need to download it from Sun's website as you've already done. Plus it
possibly posed a security risk, and many users disabled java anyway.

Yes it is now normal that Java is not included in Windows XP - the result of
the lawsuit.

You can buy MS Word (or MS Office) from computer stores.

> Hi,
> I just bought new Gateway laptop. I cannot find Microsoft Word on it. I
> only
> have Microsoft Works Word Processor. Is it the same program? Does it work
> the
> same way? Does it have the same features? Sure icon looks different. Do I
> need to buy Microsoft Word? My older Gateway laptop has both of these
> programs. I sent email to Gateway Support but did not get an naswer.
> And another thing. My laptop came without java. I had to download it from
> the Internet. Is it normal now, that laptops come without some of the
> basic
> programs?
> Your advice will be highly appreciated.
> Marzena

Registration/Activiation from Help Menu.

> Hi,
> That's not a problem since I will use only new laptop. Old one is for my
> son
> to play some games. After uninstalling MW on old laptop and installing on
> new
> laptop how do I register it? And one more q. - All my MW documents saved
> on
> external drive turned into Microsoft Works Word documents after I copied
> them
> on my new laptop. I use briefcase program to update documents on both
> drives.
> How do I switch to MW after installing it?
> TY
> Marzena

The latest release is Word (or MS Office) 2003 (for XP/2000 only) - but it
has to be bought from a shop.