Crowded system tray

Craig

More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How can I make it visible
only active icons? It used to that but somehow now I am seeing all icons.
Satoshi

Right-click on the Start button and select Properties.
Select the Taskbar tab.
Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'

Are you sure that you're not running too many programs in the background?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How can I make it
visible
> only active icons? It used to that but somehow now I am seeing all
icons.
> Satoshi

Craig

> Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'

The checkmark has been there before. But inactive icons are still there.
Regards, Satoshi

> Right-click on the Start button and select Properties.
> Select the Taskbar tab.
> Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'
>
> Are you sure that you're not running too many programs in the background?
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How can I make it
> visible
>> only active icons? It used to that but somehow now I am seeing all
> icons.
>> Satoshi

Hi Craig,

In WinXP the area where the clock resides is the Notification Area.

Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties. Put a check next to
"Hide inactive icons".

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Craig wrote:
> More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How
> can I make it visible only active icons? It used to
> that but somehow now I am seeing all icons. Satoshi

If the checkmark is already there, that means that Windows XP considers
those icons to be currently active. You may not consider them to be active,
but they meet the definition of active icons coded into XP .
--

> > Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'
>
> The checkmark has been there before. But inactive icons are still there.
> Regards, Satoshi

> > Right-click on the Start button and select Properties.
> > Select the Taskbar tab.
> > Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'
> >
> > Are you sure that you're not running too many programs in the
background?
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How can I make it
> > visible
> >> only active icons? It used to that but somehow now I am seeing all
> > icons.
> >> Satoshi

Try:

Hide or Show Inactive Icons (Line 53, Right)
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Craig wrote:
>> Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'
>
> The checkmark has been there before. But inactive icons are still there.
> Regards, Satoshi

>> Right-click on the Start button and select Properties.
>> Select the Taskbar tab.
>> Place a checkmark in 'Hide inactive icons.'
>>
>> Are you sure that you're not running too many programs in the background?
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

>> "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> More than 20 icons are packed in the system tray. How can I make it
>>> visible only active icons? It used to that but somehow now I am seeing
>>> all icons. Satoshi

Craig

Ted,
I do not dispute what you wrote here.
As far as I know, most of them are inactive icons. I used to see about 4 or
5 icons there in the past. Something happened to my computer (or registry)
about two days when all of a sudden the entire icons appeared on the
Notification Area.
Satoshi

> If the checkmark is already there, that means that Windows XP considers
> those icons to be currently active. You may not consider them to be
> active,
> but they meet the definition of active icons coded into XP .
> --
> Ted Zieglar

Craig

Thanks for the information. Clicking on both sides of the line 53 did not
fix the problem even after rebooting.
BTW, both lines (i..e, vb file) triggered a virus alert by Norton antivirus.
That could be the reason why it could not fix the problem. Regards,
Satoshi

> Try:
>
> Hide or Show Inactive Icons (Line 53, Right)
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

That is new information.

If these icons do not come from programs that you installed, but instead
"all of a sudden the entire icons appeared on the Notification Area", that
is almost surely a sign that your computer has been compromised by viruses
and/or spyware.
--

> Ted,
> I do not dispute what you wrote here.
> As far as I know, most of them are inactive icons. I used to see about 4
or
> 5 icons there in the past. Something happened to my computer (or
registry)
> about two days when all of a sudden the entire icons appeared on the
> Notification Area.
> Satoshi

> > If the checkmark is already there, that means that Windows XP considers
> > those icons to be currently active. You may not consider them to be
> > active,
> > but they meet the definition of active icons coded into XP .
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar

Craig

Never mind!!!
After Bush's inauguration today, the system tray (Notification Area) started
to function normally.
I still could not figure out why it did not function for the last 2 days.
Thanks for all your help.
Regards,

Satoshi

> That is new information.
>
> If these icons do not come from programs that you installed, but instead
> "all of a sudden the entire icons appeared on the Notification Area", that
> is almost surely a sign that your computer has been compromised by viruses
> and/or spyware.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ted,
>> I do not dispute what you wrote here.
>> As far as I know, most of them are inactive icons. I used to see about 4
> or
>> 5 icons there in the past. Something happened to my computer (or
> registry)
>> about two days when all of a sudden the entire icons appeared on the
>> Notification Area.
>> Satoshi
>>
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > If the checkmark is already there, that means that Windows XP considers
>> > those icons to be currently active. You may not consider them to be
>> > active,
>> > but they meet the definition of active icons coded into XP .
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar

> BTW, both lines (i..e, vb file) triggered a virus alert by Norton
> antivirus.

That's cos you have NAV Script Blocker enabled.

Glad to hear it was automagically fixed. Note that some have fixed this by
changing the 'autohide' behaviour of the first icon in the list at Task Bar
and Start Menu Properties > Customize. YMMV.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)