Company of Heroes problem

West1252

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
My Company of heroes is the orignal and I am having a problem that I've never had exept with this game. I bought a new Dell XPS 630 and the game is still havin problems. The game installs perfectly and does all the little cut scenes, but goes yo the menu and says "can not detect disc". This is the only time I got the disc out of the case- how could there be a problem???
If anyone can help. Please give me a tip!!!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Have you patched the game fully?
http://cohpatch.relic.com/ for all the patches, i dont own it so i suggest going through from 1.0 and doing each patch in turn.

If that doesnt solve the issue then just get a NO-CD crack that allows you to play without the CD in the drive....try www.gamecopyworld.com for this. You have to put the .exe you download into the CoH installation folder and replace the existing .exe you would normally use to run the game. Should work fine once you done that.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
whoa!!
its 2009 man!

I cant garuntee it will fix the problem (should do though), its just a standard route to take.
Looking at the number of patches released id say the out-the-box version is going to be buggy as hell either ways.

Only other thing i can find is this:
"Opposing Fronts requires an online account and internet connection in order to play multiplayer games. In an effort by Relic to counter piracy, the game will request account authentication should it recognize that you have a capable internet connection, and also require that the user downloads all subsequent patches until the current version. Should there not be an internet connection when the game is started, it will then perform a standard DVD check. The system has drawn heavy criticism from many of its earlier fans, much because the original Company of Heroes didn't perform a disc and/or patch check at all unless you enter the multiplayer section."

Soooo if your connection is off it will do a disk check. Just try if you havent already launching the game while dialed up to your ISP, so the game server can auth you.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Sorry i missed this last night. Once the patch has downloaded, just run it as you would any other program (after a virus check ofc!)
A No-CD crack needs to replace the original .exe that you use to launch the game which is found in the programs install folder.

West1252

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
The patches or the non-cd didn't work. The install in the first place might have been bad. I'll try with the CoH Gold and most likely have better luck. This is he only vista game I had problems with.

whycough

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
company of heroes only goes without the disk if you have an active internet connection. if you are not online when you start the game up, you still need the disk. if you used a no cd, was it the right version? i've done that more than a few times.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Good to hear....now get some Broadband!!

West1252

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I tried a million times to get some highspeed, but there are no services where I live.Yet the stations for comcast and At@t are only a mile or two from me. So weird... :heink:

Its called "Free Market Economics": they don't think they can make money in your area, so they are free to not extend the market to you, and set up regional monopolies.

As a result of regional dominance, no company is willing to break into new areas due to startup costs and lack of customers. You see this all the time with ISP's. And instead of increasing bandwith, they want to charge you more (decreasing demand).

Unless we start to protest (loudly), we will be paying $40 a month for a 40GB bandwith cap by the end of this decade. Of course, our economic system, as currently constructed, encourages this type of cost cutting at the cost of the consumer.