could not start (code 10) error

I just bought an external USB hard drive case and put an old desktop hard
drive in it and I am trying to get xp to recognize it so I can use it. It is
supposed to be compatible. It is showing up in the device manager, but it
gives me this could not start error-code 10 when I try to turn the device on.
I'll add that I am using it on my laptop. I have hooked the external
drive upto my desktop (running xp) and it works fine. I don't know if it's a
power issue or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"crackerjack043" <crackerjack043@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an external USB hard drive case and put an old desktop hard
> drive in it and I am trying to get xp to recognize it so I can use it. It
> is
> supposed to be compatible. It is showing up in the device manager, but it
> gives me this could not start error-code 10 when I try to turn the device
> on.
> I'll add that I am using it on my laptop. I have hooked the external
> drive upto my desktop (running xp) and it works fine. I don't know if
> it's a
> power issue or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the enclosure have its own power supply, if not that may be the problem
with the laptop i.e. insufficient power available from the USB port. The
work around is either a 'power brick' or to provide power from a second USB
port. I do the latter.

yes, it has it's own power supply. It sounds like it powers up when turned
on and the red indicator light goes on. Windows is acknowledging that it is
there but will not start it. I have tried it on a desktop at home and it
works fine there. It is only on the laptop I have the problem. Any
additional ideas would be appreciated