Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microwave and cell phone disaster

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:13:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

And I mean a food microwave: Customer "claims" that they placed there
Motorola 120e next to the microwave (as they have done many times) to charge
it. But in this case, they also turned on the microwave for 15 minutes on
high, and allegedly, "fried" the display of the cell phone.

Never having heard such a story, it begged the question, has anyone else had
any phone failures caused by a microwave?

I'm guessing that:
a) either the phone did get nuked by the microwave, or perhaps exiting steam
from cooking.
b) that she crunched the display when she opened the microwave door, and
this is what really caused the screen failure.

the Dr.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:13:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
news:Axozc.1483$Pt.1405@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com
> And I mean a food microwave: Customer "claims" that they placed there
> Motorola 120e next to the microwave (as they have done many times) to
> charge it. But in this case, they also turned on the microwave for
> 15 minutes on high, and allegedly, "fried" the display of the cell
> phone.
>
> Never having heard such a story, it begged the question, has anyone
> else had any phone failures caused by a microwave?
>
> I'm guessing that:
> a) either the phone did get nuked by the microwave, or perhaps
> exiting steam from cooking.
> b) that she crunched the display when she opened the microwave door,
> and this is what really caused the screen failure.
>
> the Dr.

I'd go for the B) scenario. If a microwave leaks so much radiation that
things can be affected OUTSIDE of the metal box, it would be a radiation
hazard.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:13:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Could the cellphone have induced and some how rectified the alternating
magnetic fields from the microwave's magnetron and fried the display? Do
they put liquid crystal displays on microwaves? All I have ever seen on
them were LED and flourescent type which are higher voltage displays than
the liquid crystal dispalys.

I think the answer is a form of A) either the phone did get nuked by the
microwave, or perhaps exiting steam from cooking.

Don't keep us in suspense any longer Dr. Wiremore! What is the correct
answer? :D 

JoshIII
upstate south carolina


"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2j6l1lFu34roU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> news:Axozc.1483$Pt.1405@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com
> > And I mean a food microwave: Customer "claims" that they placed there
> > Motorola 120e next to the microwave (as they have done many times) to
> > charge it. But in this case, they also turned on the microwave for
> > 15 minutes on high, and allegedly, "fried" the display of the cell
> > phone.
> >
> > Never having heard such a story, it begged the question, has anyone
> > else had any phone failures caused by a microwave?
> >
> > I'm guessing that:
> > a) either the phone did get nuked by the microwave, or perhaps
> > exiting steam from cooking.
> > b) that she crunched the display when she opened the microwave door,
> > and this is what really caused the screen failure.
> >
> > the Dr.
>
> I'd go for the B) scenario. If a microwave leaks so much radiation that
> things can be affected OUTSIDE of the metal box, it would be a radiation
> hazard.
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:13:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2j6l1lFu34roU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
>> news:Axozc.1483$Pt.1405@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com
>>> And I mean a food microwave: Customer "claims" that they placed
>>> there Motorola 120e next to the microwave (as they have done many
>>> times) to charge it. But in this case, they also turned on the
>>> microwave for 15 minutes on high, and allegedly, "fried" the
>>> display of the cell phone.
>>>
>>> Never having heard such a story, it begged the question, has anyone
>>> else had any phone failures caused by a microwave?
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that:
>>> a) either the phone did get nuked by the microwave, or perhaps
>>> exiting steam from cooking.
>>> b) that she crunched the display when she opened the microwave door,
>>> and this is what really caused the screen failure.
>>>
>>> the Dr.
>>
>> I'd go for the B) scenario. If a microwave leaks so much radiation
>> that things can be affected OUTSIDE of the metal box, it would be a
>> radiation hazard.
"JoshIII" <josh3iREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2j6ongFtp1fmU1@uni-berlin.de
> Could the cellphone have induced and some how rectified the
> alternating magnetic fields from the microwave's magnetron and fried
> the display? Do they put liquid crystal displays on microwaves?
> All I have ever seen on them were LED and flourescent type which are
> higher voltage displays than the liquid crystal dispalys.
>
> I think the answer is a form of A) either the phone did get nuked by
> the microwave, or perhaps exiting steam from cooking.
>
> Don't keep us in suspense any longer Dr. Wiremore! What is the
> correct answer? :D 
>
> JoshIII
> upstate south carolina
>
>

My microwave has an LCD, and I have a lot of electric sockets behind it, so
the phone has been sitting on top in the charger base, right next to the
wireless headset rechanging next to it (also on top), and next over is the
laptop charging (with it's big ole LCD screen), next to my GPS and Digital
camera (both recharging). Sure hope they don't all die :) 
!