start up programs

How do I control what programs automatically run at start up in xp. I had it
down pat with win 98 but can't figure out how to turn off certain programs
that boot automatically when I turn the computer on. Thanks for any help you
can give.
4 answers Last reply
More about start programs

    Hi

    From Start>Run type

    msconfig

    then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "crackerjack043" <crackerjack043@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I control what programs automatically run at start up in xp. I had
    > it
    > down pat with win 98 but can't figure out how to turn off certain programs
    > that boot automatically when I turn the computer on. Thanks for any help
    > you
    > can give.

    Use services, run/services.msc
    LT
    ---------------
    > Hi
    >
    > From Start>Run type
    >
    > msconfig
    >
    > then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    > starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "crackerjack043" <crackerjack043@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > How do I control what programs automatically run at start up in xp. I
    had
    > > it
    > > down pat with win 98 but can't figure out how to turn off certain
    programs
    > > that boot automatically when I turn the computer on. Thanks for any
    help
    > > you
    > > can give.

    Hi

    The Services are different to the Start Up programs and caution has got to
    be taken when disabling any of those Services.

    --

    In news:F7C3D636-55CF-41C1-A64C-75150DAEE80C@microsoft.com,
    crackerjack043 <crackerjack043@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do I control what programs automatically run at start up in
    > xp.
    > I had it down pat with win 98 but can't figure out how to turn
    > off
    > certain programs that boot automatically when I turn the
    > computer on.
    > Thanks for any help you can give.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
    these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP