i have a problem and i'm not too bright

deadbeat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
i am having a serious problem with my system and i need help. i think it is (gulp) related to the motherboard though i'm not much of a hardware guy.

first, the system: piii 550, win98, bx chipset, 128mb pc100 sdram, common peripherals and cards, not networked, minimal software installs (having pared down the system due to recent difficulties).

second, the problem: when using a mouse the system will hang almost immediately upon finishing booting up. by hang i mean everything freezes in place. monitor will then refresh and "catch up" to whatever point in the process we should be. after several minutes of this the mouse will freeze for good. however, the keyboard still works for about 5 more minutes. then all is frozen and the computer needs to be restarted by interrupting the power supply. no bsod, no error messages (though i will address this again in a minute).

things i have learned: 1)nuts&bolts (useless) diagnostic tools told me there were errors in the physical ram so i swapped with a new 128mb. nothing changed. further diagnostics using the same program failed to work at all. no error, just couldn't do anything with the ram. windows diagnostics seem to think everything is just peachy. 2)tried floppy boot diagnostic (memtest-86) and lo and behold there is nothing wrong with the ram. 3)via advice from a friend i tried using mousekeys. bingo--everything is fine, just a big pain in the ass. so, for most of today i have been working away just fine, using keyboard shortcuts and the numeric keypad to move the pointer.

red herring (?):a couple of times during the power down/reboot nightmare i briefly (as in msecs) saw black screen with light blue type in upper lefthand corner which my brain has remembered as containing the words "pci," "bus," and "error." and once at power down i saw bsod which said parity error.

i haven't the slightest clue what is going on or what to do at this point. does anyone have any suggestions that don't include buying a new system?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could have a bad mouse or a bad mouseport. If you're using a USB mouse try a PS/2 mouse. If you're using a PS/2 mouse, try a different one. Finally, if you find the PS/2 mouseport is bad, try a USB mouse.

You actually have a fairly solid combination of parts. Nobody has ever built a better chipset than the BX. But motherboards do go bad, and it's usually caused by failed capacitors. I repair BX boards for resale, I've seen just about everything.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

deadbeat

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
thanks for the reply. i am happy/sad to say that the problem appears to have rectified itself. which is good, although i am left to surmise that it was a dust problem. this was suggested to me since 1)the early indications were ram errors, and 2)it has apparently resolved itself without intervention. can't think of anything else that would spontaneously repair. thanks again and of course i'll be back when it wigs out again.

<i><font color=blue>A whale is a mammiferous animal without hind feet.</i></font color=blue>--Baron Cuvier