PS3 quick questions?

publicradiohead

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Buddy has been using a PS3, got rock band 2 over the holidays, and it was a blast! So, I gotta get one. Couple quick questions:

First -- which PS3, 80g or 160gb... will 80gb fill up fast?

Second -- my tv is a 10 yr old tube... do I need a new HDTV? (I am secretly hoping I do!)

Third -- the internets... I got comcast cable going to a modem going to my ethernet card. Pretty basic wired stuff. Will I need to upgrade to Wifi or will what I got work?

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
Go 80gb if you'll just be gaming, 160gb if you plan on storing media and stuff on it. I have the 40gb and have around 30gb free on it after over a year.

You don't need an HDTV, but obviously it would look much better on one.

The PS3 has an ethernet port and built in wifi, so you can do either.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Space doesn't matter all that much on the PS3. Even with games that require "installation" to run, (like Metal Gear Solid 4) you won't have to worry about it.

And the PS3 supports pretty much every output method. So really, the thing will work with a standard-def TV through a single composite cable. Of course, that will limit the resolution you can get, since the PS3 CAN output to up to 1080p. (though a lot of games will render at 720p and simply stretch it up)

And yeah, the PS3 has an Ethernet jack. earlier on, as I recall, the cheapest version of the PS3 (the 20GB one) didn't even include Wi-Fi to begin with. I believe the Wii is the only console that requires Wi-Fi for networking.

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
40 gig is more than enough

On a regular TV PS3 looks so so but on a nice screen its damn pretty

I prefer wire vs wireless when it comes to my PS3 but both work

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
It's worth noting, of course, that using Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi, at least with what adapters the PS3 has built-in, will be both faster and with less lag; Wireless connections always have more lag than wired ones, and the real-world sustained transfer speed difference between the two is larger than their theoretical peaks would suggest; you're FAR more likely to maintain close to 100 mbps with 100-meg Ethernet than you are to maintain 54 mbps with Wi-Fi 802.11g.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

The million dollar question. The you would never have to buy a game, just rent and steal.....er.......enjoy forever.