Need new multiplayer game

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
So I built my new comp right before Christmas and have tried a few games, but they aren't really holding my interest.

I'm thinking I need to get a good FPS that has great multiplayer. Right now I have Crysis and Warhammer Online. Crysis is cool single-player at times, but the multi-player just isn't doing it for me.

Warhammer... what can I say... nothing about this game is really that fun. Once you've hit tier 2, level 12, your stuck playing the same crappy gameplay mechanic (keep sieges) for the rest of the game basically. Its an OK idea with a horrible execution. Think a PvP game where the main goal is a PvE siege. I think I just don't like MMORPGs. Ill probably wait till Diablo 3 comes out before I even think of getting another RPG game.

I'm thinking I should just get COD4. Ive played both COD4/5 on xbox360, but only played 5 on live!. I think that COD4 is a superior game, but if it plays anything like 5 online I dont want it. Other games I was thinking about are battlefield 2142 and 2, unreal2k4.

What do you guys think. Feel free to suggest any online game.

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Just wanted to add. I'm an old school FPS junky. I just upgraded to some new hardware and am looking for some new generation stuff. My favorite computer games are call of duty (the original) and Quake 3 (I played only on the rail gun only servers). I'm also really liking Unreal 3 on xbox360, but I've heard the PC suffers from the same problem as 360 version which is a lack of players online.

My favorite types of FPS games are ones where you can dominant through being aggressive - but only if your really skilled. Anything like that?

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
A lot of it is to do with taste, some people like some games as some people like others, but UT2k4 is a good (haven't played UT3 yet but guessing similar but better graphics) and I never liked BF2142 but thought BF2 was ok.

But I'm more into RTS so others may have better suggestions.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I have never played COD 5 but COD 4 multiplayer is the best FPS multiplayer I have ever played online, bar none. Can't suggest anything over that game, really.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

UT04 still rocks, its still the best FPS out there. Aggression is key especially in Onslaught mode...theres always a few charlies zipping around capping nodes before you even manage to pull back to em :D
UT3 by comparison is one of the worst FPS ive played.

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Yes, Valve has a reputation for fps multiplayer games, so u might want to give them a try...

my favourite is Left 4 Dead at the moment..

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
COD4 I loved but got bored very fast. Left4Dead if you want a hard game with lotsa new content and excellent multiplayer. Battlefield2 is old but awesome. GRID is super fun for smashing people off the track and ruining their race, hehe (I get taken out all the time). Gotta say Left4Dead is the winner at the moment.

G

Get Left 4 dead its insane... probably the most fun fps game i played in a while.

For RTS i would recommend Empire Total war coming out in march

Yea wait for diablo 3 and star craft 2 they will be awesome :)

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Haha I dont know why, but I never got into the whole Valve thing. I've tried a couple versions of CounterStrike and always wondered to myself why so many people thought it was a good game? Maybe because it started out free, i think?

I watched a few gameplay videos of TF2. I dont know.. it just doesn't look like something I would get into.

And that leaves L4D. You basically just make runs through the game in co-op mode for multi-player, right? Im sure I could enjoy it a couple times, but I'm not sure how it would stay interesting?

Ive got GRID for xbox360 already. I'm probably going to end up getting COD4.

Oh and im definitely getting StarCraft 2 when it comes out. I was a big StarCraft junkie. I finished in the top 100 in the third ladder season.

G

there is so much replayability in L4d. its just insane.. i been playing it everynight. Playing as the survivors and then playing as the infected just keeps the game fresh all the time. Dunno man i think the game is definetly worth a shot.

i just cant wait for the modding community to give us some new maps should be awesome.

r_manic

Administrator
So I built my new comp right before Christmas and have tried a few games, but they aren't really holding my interest.

I'm thinking I need to get a good FPS that has great multiplayer. Right now I have Crysis and Warhammer Online. Crysis is cool single-player at times, but the multi-player just isn't doing it for me.

Warhammer... what can I say... nothing about this game is really that fun. Once you've hit tier 2, level 12, your stuck playing the same crappy gameplay mechanic (keep sieges) for the rest of the game basically. Its an OK idea with a horrible execution. Think a PvP game where the main goal is a PvE siege. I think I just don't like MMORPGs. Ill probably wait till Diablo 3 comes out before I even think of getting another RPG game.

I'm thinking I should just get COD4. Ive played both COD4/5 on xbox360, but only played 5 on live!. I think that COD4 is a superior game, but if it plays anything like 5 online I dont want it. Other games I was thinking about are battlefield 2142 and 2, unreal2k4.

What do you guys think. Feel free to suggest any online game.

Dude, if you still don't have Steam, download the client, sign-up for an account, and buy The Orange Box and CS:Source! Agree with mi1ez, Team Fortress 2 and Source—while relatively old—are still great games with very active communities!

And, if you're not really in the mood for multi, you can always do HL2, its episodes, or Portal.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
L4D is about to get new maps, the sdk, new weapons, and bosses (nothing confirmed 100% yet though, damn valve making us wait) There will be user created maps, and there are 2 modes of play: campaign, which is only worth doing on expert and is sooo hard and vs mode which is the best thing ever and keeps the game fresh, nothing like owning your mates and laughing your a$$ off at them on teamspeak. go for L4D mate and you wont be sorry. And play with me and amdfan!

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Oh yeah if you are looking at Battlefield 2142 dont bother. I have played the entire series, 1942, desert combat, vietnam, BF2, and 2142. Go for Battlefield 2 as IMO they ruined BF with 2142. And BF2 rules, and its cheap!
Where is BF3 though?................

r_manic

Administrator
or you could play those free games that come with either Ati or Nvidia GFX cards on steam.

That too.

L4D is about to get new maps, the sdk, new weapons, and bosses (nothing confirmed 100% yet though, damn valve making us wait) There will be user created maps, and there are 2 modes of play: campaign, which is only worth doing on expert and is sooo hard and vs mode which is the best thing ever and keeps the game fresh, nothing like owning your mates and laughing your a$$ off at them on teamspeak. go for L4D mate and you wont be sorry. And play with me and amdfan!

What, I can't play with you guys too? :p Just kidding... have tried L4D using a friend's account, but I'm still not sure if it's worth he $50. Hmmmm...

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I ended up getting COD4. One thing that bugs me is that I like playing in normal mode, but most of the low ping servers are HC. Other than that the game is pretty sweet. Did an 80-12-12 on shipment TDM yesterday, lol. Still stink at most of the normal maps though.

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I liked L4D but am I the only person that got bored with it?

COD4 had me playing for hours every night for months! It was amazing to play. I always played HC =)

TF2 is insanely addicting. With the different classes and maps and then theres the necessity to use teamwork or you will lose makes it even better.

I never liked the BF games just because it takes a whole mag to kill someone.

COD5 felt like a COD4 mod gone wrong. Didnt like it.

Im a big fan of DOD:S which is really cheap ( i think $10? )

Also if you buy a source game there are a great amount of FREE mods for it. One of my favorite is Insurgency. Theres a mario kart mod too i think =P

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Battlefield 2 is a great FPS. I've played the whole series since Battlefield 1942 came out. I'm still Playing BF2 and old '42. With all of the maps, vehicles (air, land and sea) weapons and kits (assault, anti-tank, medic, engineer, scout, special forces, support) it never really gets old.

TRENDING THREADS