Windows XP SP2 questions

If I have been keeping my system up to date is there a need to install
SP2? I have seen both good/bad results and problems. I am running
Mozilla 1.7.3 as a browser, Norton 04', AVG 7, SpyBot and Adaware, all
at latest levels. Is there a site that list what programs are not
compatible with SP2. I don't use IE, outlook, outlook express. I ordered
the SP2 CD from MS in case I decide to install.
TIA

Sp2 info..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130&Product=winxp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Also, if you go to the Update site, there will be links to just about
anything you need to know, or answers to questions you may have.
The basic idea is to make sure you have all of your anti-virus, spyware
programs updated, and that your pc is not infected with anything.
If you have an OEM, go to your manufacturers site and follow their check
list.

As far as the need to install..well, that's up to you. There are definite
security enhancements, but, I think for the most part, those that have had
trouble with SP2, it's because they did not follow the guidelines prior to
installing the service pack. There are some programs, specific versions of
programs that don't work with SP2. Just remember to back up you important
data, and remember too, that Sp2 can be uninstalled.

"Norvin" <bluegoose@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> If I have been keeping my system up to date is there a need to install
> SP2? I have seen both good/bad results and problems. I am running
> Mozilla 1.7.3 as a browser, Norton 04', AVG 7, SpyBot and Adaware, all
> at latest levels. Is there a site that list what programs are not
> compatible with SP2. I don't use IE, outlook, outlook express. I ordered
> the SP2 CD from MS in case I decide to install.
> TIA

An excellent question.

Yes, Service Pack 2 is essential even if you have been good about keeping
your computer up to date. SP 2 contains important new security features.
It's only a matter of time until you will need to have SP 2 installed before
a technical support representative will be able to help you.

To learn about SP 2's new features, you can look here:

"Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx.

You are very unlikely to encounter any problems with SP 2 IF you are fully
prepared and IF you have not misconfigured XP. You seem like the kind of
person who doesn't mess around with the operating system, so you should be
fine.

By now there is a ton of information in the mainstream media that will help
you prepare for the upgrade; you should take advantage of this information.
By all means, start here:

"What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

and here:

"Detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875364.

and also read about SP 2 in the popular e-zines, such as PC World
(www.pcworld.com) or PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). I spent many hours reading
about and preparing for Service Pack 2, and my upgrade was as smooth as
silk.

By now, most legitimate software vendors have updated their software to make
it compatible with SP 2. If you are using recent versions of most any
program, you can obtain a free update, if needed, directly from the software
writer. If you are concerned about incompatibility with SP 2, see here:

"Device drivers known to cause instability in Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883775

and here:

"Programs that may experience a change in behavior after you install Windows
XP Service Pack 2"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886264

You should only have one antivirus program installed on your computer at a
time. Having more than one makes you more susceptible to attack, not less.
Choose NAV or AVG and stick with it.

"Should you run more than one antivirus program at the same time?"
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2000031316555206?Open

--
Ted Zieglar

| An excellent question.
|
| Yes, Service Pack 2 is essential even if you have been good about keeping
| your computer up to date. SP 2 contains important new security features.
| It's only a matter of time until you will need to have SP 2 installed
before
| a technical support representative will be able to help you.

<snip>

I'll agree that it's a good idea to install SP2, and to be well-prepared
beforehand, but characterizing it as "essential" is a little strong. And
I've been using Windows in just about every flavor since 3.0 and I've never
had occassion to ask a technincal support representative for help.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I see one thing in your list that is not particularly good. Having two
antivirus programs can cause real issues and conflicts.
"Norvin" <bluegoose@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> If I have been keeping my system up to date is there a need to install
> SP2? I have seen both good/bad results and problems. I am running Mozilla
> 1.7.3 as a browser, Norton 04', AVG 7, SpyBot and Adaware, all at latest
> levels. Is there a site that list what programs are not compatible with
> SP2. I don't use IE, outlook, outlook express. I ordered the SP2 CD from
> MS in case I decide to install.
> TIA

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)