Sign in with
Your question

SOLD: New* Dell T5500 Workstation: Xeon 5640 Quad $1300 3Yr Wrnty

Last response: in Deals
December 11, 2010 4:32:40 AM

Sold
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Price $1300 which is at least $500 below the cost of parts.
Send email to aviat72 at gmail.

I have been able to score a X5650 based system from the Dell Outlet, so this one is going back to Dell unless it finds a buyer. It sits in an unopened box after arriving on Thursday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered a New* (it is from Dell Outlet) T5500 Workstation today. It has shipped. This has the 32nm Gulftown Xeon, which runs very cool and has enormous over-clocking potential.

The 32nm Xeons are Intel's fastest chips, and this is a beefy workstation with an 875W power supply and lots of slots and bays, including the option of adding a second CPU, supports two PCI Express video cards. Read more here

Please make me an offer if a system like this works for you. I am in Silicon Valley and the system is scheduled to arrive on 12/16/2010. I can ship it also. You can contact me at aviat72 at gmail.

A new system priced at Dell SB with similar specs was around 3000. + tax.
The parts alone are worth $1800-2000 + tax. This system comes with the 3yr NBD on-site warranty.

I might consider parting the system out (CPU/Mobo/HD/Graphics Card) though that would defeat the purpose of the Dell Warranty.

The pertinent specs are:

Description Precision T5500
  • Intel Xeon Processor E5640 (12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 5.86 GT/s) @ Newegg
  • Mother has two PCI-e x16 slots.
  • 3Yr Basic Ltd Warranty and NBD On-site Service. This warranty is FULLY transferable.
  • 256MB ATI FireMV 2260,Dual Monitor 2DP @ Newegg
  • 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (4 DIMMs) ECC Registered
  • Genuine Windows Vista Business 64BIT Operating System with Operating System DVD
  • 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
  • 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (10K RPM) Newegg

The product manual is available here.
    The specifications are here
    It includes a Dell Quality 875W Power Supply which leaves a lot of scope for upgrades.

A note about Dell outlet systems: I have primarily purchased Dell outlet systems only, and have not faced any problem. Because they are recertified, the actually go through another set of tests and have probably gone through the burn-in period. They carry exactly the same warranty and support as brand new Dell systems.
    December 16, 2010 1:41:21 AM

The system came in today. Sits in a box I am so tempted to open...

I will consider offers under the part's cost also (I did get a great deal)....

I have the system tag and the shipping info for you to verify with Dell in case it helps.
    December 19, 2010 12:59:55 AM

I have been able to score a X5650 based system from the Dell Outlet, so this one is going back to Dell unless it finds a buyer. It sits in an unopened box after arriving on Thursday.

This is significantly less than a DIY Xeon build, and comparable to a DIY i7 build but with immense scope for expansion. Motherboard has a lot of expansion slots and supports

=> Dual CPUs
    => 2 True x16PCIe slots
    => 2 True x4 PCie slots
    => PCI
    => PCIx
    => 875w PSU. Note that Dell PSU ratings are quite conservative.

Motherboard Schematic

NBD Warranty for 3 years.

• No RMA hassle
  • No time chasing hard-to-find tech-support
  • No shipping costs
  • No question of different warranties on different parts
  • No downtime

Warranty is valid on the core components and you can always add your own Graphic Cards, RAM etc. The warranty transfers easily online.

And of course those who want to indulge in over-clocking and other adventures, will know that on a different motherboard, these 32nm Westmere E56xx series CPUs easily go beyond 4GHz. The E5640 bins two slots higher than the E5620 used in those tests (E5620->E5630->E5640)
    December 24, 2010 7:07:05 AM

New price.
    !