What Is the First Thing To Do Online

I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
the first time?
15 answers Last reply
More about what thing online

    The first thing to do is to NOT go online until you have installed your
    antivirus software and enabled Internet Connection Firewall. Make sure that
    your antivirus software is configured for maximum protection.

    Now, connect to the Internet and update your antivirus software. Reboot your
    computer if you are instructed to do so.

    Next, go directly to Windows Update and install all security updates. (This
    will include Service Pack 2.) You will need to reboot your computer.

    After that you're on your own.

    You should seriously consider installing a third party firewall and
    anti-spyware applications.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?

    Enable Windows XP firewall and visit the Windows Update
    website. After installing all critical updates, install a good
    antivirus program.

    3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Don Trieschman" wrote:

    | I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    | spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    | the first time?

    "Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    | spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    | the first time?

    Unless you enable the XP firewall before going online, the first thing
    you'll be doing is getting a worm and lots of Messenger Service popups. You
    can then Google for the other applications (antivirus, a better firewall,
    etc.) and find and download them.

    In news:1fpvu0tk5rh7pm2r9pr739al7s73btucfc@4ax.com,
    Don Trieschman <dtriesch@earthlink.net> typed:

    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no
    > firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going
    > online for
    > the first time?

    If you do as you suggest--go online without a firewall--you will
    very likely get infected with a worm like Blaster or Sasser
    within a few minutes of the very first time you do it.

    Turn on the Windows firewall first. Then go on-line, get all
    pertinent Windows updates, an anti-virus program, a better
    firewall, and anti-spyware software.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?
    XP Home or XP Pro?
    What version?
    What type of Internet connection?
    Who is ISP?

    If XP Home or Pro version 2002 / 2002 SP1 -
    Make sure to enable the built in
    XP Internet Connection Firewall
    on your network connection before
    connecting to the Internet and then
    immediately go to the Windows Update site
    and get all XP critical updates installed including
    SP 2

    If already SP 2, the Windows Firewall should
    be enabled by default but should still immediately
    go to Windows Update site -

    Get an Anti Virus program installed and updated

    Get at least one Anti Spyware program installed and updated -

    Free Anti Virus
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

    Free Anti Spyware -

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3
    http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

    SpywareBlaster 3.2

    Upon reflection, I prefer Carey's order of things: First Windows Update,
    then antivirus software.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Enable Windows XP firewall and visit the Windows Update
    > website. After installing all critical updates, install a good
    > antivirus program.
    >
    > 3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:

    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Don Trieschman" wrote:
    >
    > | I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > | spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > | the first time?

    Before you go online download Ad-Aware (free version available), SpyBot
    Search and Destroy (free), ZoneAlarm (free version available) and the latest
    released version of a competent AntiVirus program (if you don't already have
    one. Burn these to a CD.

    Then, Install the ZoneAlarm firewall. Reboot. Get all Window updates. DO NOT
    GO TO ANY OTHER WEB SITES except the Windows update site. Reboot as
    necessary.

    Then install your antivirus program. Update the program till you receive a
    message that all current updates are installed. Reboot during this procedure
    as necessary.

    Then install Ad-Aware and update to latest definition files.. Do the same
    for SpyBot Search and Destroy.

    Now, go onlione and have fun - but always use your common sense. Remember,
    Windows has "most" of what you need to view web pages and animations etc. If
    you go to a page that says you MUST download something to see the web page -
    DON'T! You may get a lot more than you are expecting!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?

    Actually, I prefer yours - but either will do. The important point is that
    the firewall be enabled FIRST to prevent unwanted intrusions.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Don Trieschman wrote:
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?

    Don't go on-line until you have a firewall and anti-virus application
    installed and enabled. Then first visit Windows Update to install any
    Critical security patches. After that, it's fairly safe to pick and
    choose as you like.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    As if they were expecting your question, Don!...

    Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

    Also see:

    Protect Your PC
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Don Trieschman wrote:
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?

    An interesting exchange of ideas which I've often pondered. I resorted to
    getting the Windows Security Update Disc from MS which allowed me to install
    as many updates as possible without connecting to the internet. I am behind
    a router and installed my AV before going on line.

    It's rather like juggling 10 balls in the air at once. You want to do all
    of these security jobs at once and hope that something doesn't happen whilst
    you're doing them.

    It would be nice if CDs could be ordered with up to date definitions,
    security patches etc. or, alternatively, if they could be downloaded via
    another computer and burned to CD.

    Just my 2p!

    Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > Don't go on-line until you have a firewall and anti-virus application
    >installed and enabled. Then first visit Windows Update to install any
    >Critical security patches. After that, it's fairly safe to pick and
    >choose as you like.

    I would get a CD of the Service Pack 2 - order from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    And run that as very first action of all. That will install its
    Firewall, and do almost all updates. Then go on line for any additional
    ones (that way there will only be half a dozen or so)

    go and purchase firewall, antivirus products. If you've got windows XP then
    you'll have the minimum of a firewall which does OK unless you want to put
    something else on in its place. Then download the antispyware app from
    microsoft, get a firewall or whatever off the net (plenty of free ones) or
    from your local computer store.

    "Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > the first time?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks to all who answered my newbie question. Loaded ZoneAlarm from
    CD, and got all the other freebies plus Win XP SP2 and security
    updates no problem.

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:17:45 +0800, "Andrew Murray"
    <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote:

    >go and purchase firewall, antivirus products. If you've got windows XP then
    >you'll have the minimum of a firewall which does OK unless you want to put
    >something else on in its place. Then download the antispyware app from
    >microsoft, get a firewall or whatever off the net (plenty of free ones) or
    >from your local computer store.
    >

    >"Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    >> spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    >> the first time?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    If you really are a Newbie few word of CAUTION from another Newbie :

    You have taken all the possible and necessary precaution available
    before going online.

    But if you don't take the most important precaution of all -- control of
    your right index finger, or left if you are left handed -- all the
    precaution taken will be of no use.

    Navigate this vast ocean of Internet, keeping your eyes always open for
    hidden and unknown perils.

    And if you don't fall for the umpteen temptation which you will find strewn
    all around you while surfing you will be safe.

    Regards.

    > Thanks to all who answered my newbie question. Loaded ZoneAlarm from
    > CD, and got all the other freebies plus Win XP SP2 and security
    > updates no problem.
    >
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:17:45 +0800, "Andrew Murray"
    > <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > >go and purchase firewall, antivirus products. If you've got windows XP
    then
    > >you'll have the minimum of a firewall which does OK unless you want to
    put
    > >something else on in its place. Then download the antispyware app from
    > >microsoft, get a firewall or whatever off the net (plenty of free ones)
    or
    > >from your local computer store.
    > >

    > >"Don Trieschman" <dtriesch@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> I've built a computer from components. No anti-virus, no firewall, no
    > >> spam block. What is the first thing to do (get) when going online for
    > >> the first time?

Microsoft Windows XP