freezing account with verizon?

Can anyone tell me if verizon will let me freeze my account for a few months
when I travel overseas?

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Well when I lost my phone they
suspended mine, with the provision
that my contract time would be extended
for that amount of time. I think that there
is a limit on the amount of time that it
can be suspended... *611

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Your contract says you will pay $XX a month from one date until another
date. You can travel overseas but you will have to continue to pay for your
cell phone.

Give it to someone in the family to use, or turn away and just keep paying.

"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Your contract says you will pay $XX a month from one date until another
>date. You can travel overseas but you will have to continue to pay for your
>cell phone.

He could switch to the least expensive plan for the time he's gone.
That might extend his contract period.

>Give it to someone in the family to use, or turn away and just keep paying.
>
>"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone tell me if verizon will let me freeze my account for a few
>months
>> when I travel overseas?

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons

In article <2j6pslFu62n3U1@uni-berlin.de>, Gator <gator2@webmail.co.za> wrote:
>Well when I lost my phone they suspended mine, with the provision
>that my contract time would be extended for that amount of time. I think
>that there is a limit on the amount of time that it
>can be suspended... *611

One of my phones is currently in suspended state. They will suspend a
number for up to 90 days. You will be charged $15 for the suspension,
but the number will not incur any monthly charge in that interval,
not even the usual "fees". After the specified interval, the number is
automatically reactivated. My understanding w/r/t contract, is that the
contract will be extended by the duration of the suspension. (My phone
is not under contract, so this provision doesn't apply to me.)

Vacation suspension is one of the intended uses of this feature.

You have three options: a)minimum plan; b)30 days lost; free c)90 days
seasonal outage, $15.00

a) already stated, put your plan into a minimum plan while your gone; and it
will count as a contract month.
b) say you lost your phone: this will give you 30 days at no charge; and the
30 days will "not" count as a contract month, so if you had 10 months
remaining on your contract when you lost your phone, after 30 days, you'd
still have 10 months remaining.
c) put your phone on a seasonal "outage". I believe you will be charged
$15, and you can have up to 90 days out-of-service. This 90 days (a above)
do not count as 3 contract months.

Advice: In the spirit of your question, only b & c allow you to freeze or
suspend. But after the elapsed time, your service will be re-instated
"automatically".
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
> "Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >Your contract says you will pay $XX a month from one date until another
> >date. You can travel overseas but you will have to continue to pay for
your
> >cell phone.
>
> He could switch to the least expensive plan for the time he's gone.
> That might extend his contract period.
>

> >Give it to someone in the family to use, or turn away and just keep
paying.

> >"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
> >> Can anyone tell me if verizon will let me freeze my account for a few
> >months
> >> when I travel overseas?

Actual story about freezing or suspending (the horror is the son's abuse,
not the freezing or suspend)

Parents are disappointed with a son who has abused the new share line, not
paid his share, not even gotten the job he promised. So, they "freeze" the
account for 90 days, but leave the phone in the son's possession.

The son tried daily to use the phone, and one day discovers (day 91) that
the phone is back on. Later he tells his parents that he thought it was
turned on as a graduation surprise (more later). Son burns 1000 peak
minutes, in 30 days, and when we look at the call records, not 2 minutes go
buy from 6am till midnight that this kid isn't on the phone. Also, a
hundred dollars of downloads and text messages. This is when the parents
discover that the 90 seasonal outage comes back on automatically.

While the phone did come alive automatically, the son had also tried to
pretend to be his father no less than 20 times, in various ways trying to
get the phone on. Later, after the phone was confiscated, he came into one
of our stores and said he needed a temporary phone on his line, as his phone
was lost. Fortunately we called the parents and discovered above, finding
out this cute kid, was a "master" at getting his way, and because he
wouldn't listen (and he was 19+) he was asked to leave the house until he
could re-earn some trust.

In the end: The associated line and phone was "assumed" by a church group
and later with a change of number. Suspend is great, when done for the
right reasons, and with the appropriate knowledge that it comes back on all
by itself.

--

dr.wireMORE <dr.wireMORE@vzw-midwestma.com> wrote:
:
: Parents are disappointed with a son who has abused the new share line, not
: paid his share, not even gotten the job he promised. So, they "freeze" the
: account for 90 days, but leave the phone in the son's possession.

Yikes! I'd have pocketed the phone...

: While the phone did come alive automatically, the son had also tried to
: pretend to be his father no less than 20 times, in various ways trying to
: get the phone on. Later, after the phone was confiscated, he came into one
: of our stores and said he needed a temporary phone on his line, as his phone
: was lost. Fortunately we called the parents and discovered above, finding
: out this cute kid, was a "master" at getting his way, and because he
: wouldn't listen (and he was 19+) he was asked to leave the house until he
: could re-earn some trust.

Oh my goodness. What a horror story.

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN

Anybody know how often you can suspend it for 90 days?

My father just signed up for a 2 year contract as he was planning on moving
back here to the USA, but then he found out he may be living overseas for
quite a while longer again.

-Eric

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message > One of my phones is
currently in suspended state. They will suspend a
> number for up to 90 days. You will be charged $15 for the suspension,
> but the number will not incur any monthly charge in that interval,
> not even the usual "fees". After the specified interval, the number is
> automatically reactivated. My understanding w/r/t contract, is that the
> contract will be extended by the duration of the suspension. (My phone
> is not under contract, so this provision doesn't apply to me.)
>
> Vacation suspension is one of the intended uses of this feature.

I spoke to Verizon last night, and the salesman told me that it cost $10 per
phone per month to freeze, can freeze up to 6 months, and he thought this
can only be done once each year.

In article <QFSzc.6701657$iA2.759374@news.easynews.com>,
Josh Grameson <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote:
>I spoke to Verizon last night, and the salesman told me that it cost $10 per
>phone per month to freeze, can freeze up to 6 months, and he thought this
>can only be done once each year.
>
>"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
>> Anybody know how often you can suspend it for 90 days?
>>
>> My father just signed up for a 2 year contract as he was planning on
>moving
>> back here to the USA, but then he found out he may be living overseas for
>> quite a while longer again.
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>> "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message > One of my phones is
>> currently in suspended state. They will suspend a
>> > number for up to 90 days. You will be charged $15 for the suspension,
>> > but the number will not incur any monthly charge in that interval,
>> > not even the usual "fees". After the specified interval, the number is
>> > automatically reactivated. My understanding w/r/t contract, is that the
>> > contract will be extended by the duration of the suspension. (My phone
>> > is not under contract, so this provision doesn't apply to me.)
>> >
>> > Vacation suspension is one of the intended uses of this feature.

May be market dependent. I was told that I could do the 3-month suspension
twice a year. In my region (SF Bay Area of California), I have done the
90-day suspension twice. A $15 charge appeared up front, no charges for
the three months, and then the service and the usual charges resumed.

I specifically asked for a vacation suspension, if that makes any
difference.