Windows 7 Upgrade Workarounds-- Still work?

I found out about this through this forum, however the threads were dated back 2009, so I wanted to make sure these tricks still work.

I'm am interested in purchasing Windows 7 Professional UPGRADE through Microsoft/DJ Rivers for the student discounted price. However I will be installing this on a PC I am building, so I won't have an existing OS on the harddrive, or a Windows XP/Vista serial number to activate Windows 7.

I found this link and was wondering if this trick still works. Or this one that I found on the "Common Questions about Windows 7" thread. I think I prefer Method 3, just because it's supported by Microsoft.

So basically, just want to make sure these work-arounds still work.

And, If so, is there absolutely any downside to getting the upgrade version instead of the full? Aside from the fact that I would have to download it and burn the iso file onto a CD.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade workarounds work
  1. The workaround on Winsupersite should still work just fine. There is no downside to performing a clean install from upgrade media other than the added effort required; it's exactly the same OS.

Just be careful that you don't buy the "Upgrade from one version of Windows 7 to another" media.
  2. Thanks Herr_Koos!

I don't think that's what the deal is for, but now you have me worried! lol The link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx Pretty sure its the right media, well I hope!

I read somewhere on here I could call Microsoft directly and order through 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), think I might try that and clarify what I want over the phone, just to be safe.
  3. I had a quick look at the link; from the packaging it appears to be the full retail version. But yes, phone MS and confirm just to be on the safe side.
  4. Not legal. An upgrade is for an upgrade. You are suppose to have a qualifing operating system to upgrade. The qualifing operating system does not have to be installed (reason for work-around), but there should be a CD/DVD tied to that system. I know some "abuse" this, and it would be very difficault to for MS to verify given their current istall methods.

If they are providing you a "Full" version then so be it - your gain
  5. OP, do you currently own ANY licensed and legal version of Windows?
  6. Added to Herr_Koos post
    "Not currently installed on a system."
  7. Well, all our household laptops came with windows, one is XP, one is Vista, and the others are windows 7.

I called the Microsoft Store and ordered the Professional Upgrade for $35, including tax and the CD. Thanks for the help, guys.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Microsoft