Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Upgrade Workarounds-- Still work?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Microsoft
Last response: in Windows 7
August 25, 2010 5:01:26 AM

I found out about this through this forum, however the threads were dated back 2009, so I wanted to make sure these tricks still work.

I'm am interested in purchasing Windows 7 Professional UPGRADE through Microsoft/DJ Rivers for the student discounted price. However I will be installing this on a PC I am building, so I won't have an existing OS on the harddrive, or a Windows XP/Vista serial number to activate Windows 7.

I found this link and was wondering if this trick still works. Or this one that I found on the "Common Questions about Windows 7" thread. I think I prefer Method 3, just because it's supported by Microsoft.

So basically, just want to make sure these work-arounds still work.

And, If so, is there absolutely any downside to getting the upgrade version instead of the full? Aside from the fact that I would have to download it and burn the iso file onto a CD.

Thanks in advance.

More about : windows upgrade workarounds work

a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2010 8:04:33 AM

The workaround on Winsupersite should still work just fine. There is no downside to performing a clean install from upgrade media other than the added effort required; it's exactly the same OS.

Just be careful that you don't buy the "Upgrade from one version of Windows 7 to another" media.
m
l
August 25, 2010 5:07:13 PM

Thanks Herr_Koos!

I don't think that's what the deal is for, but now you have me worried! lol The link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows... Pretty sure its the right media, well I hope!

I read somewhere on here I could call Microsoft directly and order through 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), think I might try that and clarify what I want over the phone, just to be safe.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 7:37:10 AM

I had a quick look at the link; from the packaging it appears to be the full retail version. But yes, phone MS and confirm just to be on the safe side.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 7:00:39 PM

Not legal. An upgrade is for an upgrade. You are suppose to have a qualifing operating system to upgrade. The qualifing operating system does not have to be installed (reason for work-around), but there should be a CD/DVD tied to that system. I know some "abuse" this, and it would be very difficault to for MS to verify given their current istall methods.

If they are providing you a "Full" version then so be it - your gain
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 9:31:13 AM

OP, do you currently own ANY licensed and legal version of Windows?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 12:12:54 PM

Added to Herr_Koos post
"Not currently installed on a system."
m
l
August 27, 2010 9:18:06 PM

Well, all our household laptops came with windows, one is XP, one is Vista, and the others are windows 7.

I called the Microsoft Store and ordered the Professional Upgrade for $35, including tax and the CD. Thanks for the help, guys.
m
l
!