Buying a new computer for Gaming, reuqire help.

Hey,

Basically buying a new computer to play games such as Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty - Worlds at War on 1900x1200 Res.

What hardware would be required to play Crysis Warhead at 'Gamer' graphics and Call of Duty at decent graphics, i would like to be able to play them smoothly.

A list of what would be required would be appreciated.
15 answers Last reply
More about buying computer gaming reuqire help
  1. In order to run crysis at resolutions that high you're looking at triple or quad SLI on an i7 rig.

What's your budget?
  2. If you dont have at least $1500 to blow then you wont get Crysis running that well!!
  3. I'm looking at around $1600 - $1700 AUS, so around $1100 US.

If i was to down the res to 1680x1050 or 1440x900 would it be possible to have the above games run smoothly on my price range?
  4. Crysis would still be a bit of a pig, but probably doable. Are there any other games you're looking at playing?
  5. Call of Duty - Worlds at War and other than them two I'm not to sure what there is out there anymore, in decent games at least.
    I am a fan of the CS:S and Call of Duty games so anything along those lines would be good.

Any suggestions?
  6. I get crysis wars running at 1680x1050 on my 22" on very high settings and I have a 4870 so you are gonna have to get a good card to run any higher. a 4870x2 or triple sli with the 260, or nvidia have just released the 295. They all come at a fat price premium though.... Also get lotsa RAM, you can never have enough RAM :) GRID is a sexy game and so is L4D
  7. Crysis aint that great a game mate.
    The obsession is more around e-peening it up by who gets best fps.

Im on lunch in a sec so ill prolly do a build for you
  8. mmm do you need a monitor in that $1100 as well?
  9. eccy said:
    Hey,

Basically buying a new computer to play games such as Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty - Worlds at War on 1900x1200 Res.

What hardware would be required to play Crysis Warhead at 'Gamer' graphics and Call of Duty at decent graphics, i would like to be able to play them smoothly.

A list of what would be required would be appreciated.

I would recommend the 1250usd system listed in tomshardware (mid range system)http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-overclock,2112.html. It should run Crysis very smoothly.

You could switch the graphics card for a 280 GTX specially since the price on those will come down or a 4870x2. Both of those cards are insane.

with a 4870x2 it would be close to the setup i have. it runs crysis at 1900*1200 2x AA very smooth highest settings.
  10. CPU / Mobo Phenom II 940 w/ Biostar Tforce 790GX $335

GPU Nvidia 280 $325 - $20 MIR

PSU PCP&C S61EPS 610W $105 - $35 MIR

RAM 2x2GB G.Skill 800Mhz $40

Antec 900 $110

Vista 64 bit OEM $100

AS5 $6

Total $1014 before $65 MIR = $949

Stock HSF on the Phenom II is apparantly pretty good so you should get a nice overclock. Antec 900 will fit a 280 in it. In my opinion the Phenom 2 is best buy chip at the mo, you dont have the budget for a Core i7 based build. Nvidia 280 is the best performing card @ 1920 x 1200 with a good 40fps on max settings.
    Coupla things - the PSU is for one 280, they are verrrrry hungry cards so if you wanna SLI you will need something a bit beefier around the 800w mark, also im not great with monitors so i cant recommend one if you do need one. If you wanted to spend less then look for a Nvidia 260 and a lower rated PSU...perhaps an Antec 300.
  11. Re pr2thej's config...

Drop the case down to an Antec 300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=antec%20300 (Save $60)

Then use what's left of the budget for HDD's / monitor / DVD etc...
  12. Thanks a heap for the help so far, very helpful :)

I have a monitor currently, 24"
  13. Will be tight. My 4850 is 9.25inches and it fits in my Antec 300 but is a complete pain to take in / out as i have to mess about with PSU wiring that runs over the top of the card.
    The 280 is 10.5inches long :s

For HDD just pickup a Seagate 500GB SATA2 with 32MB cache, its very fast (provided you remember to switch the SATA jumper!) costs around $60, and any old retail optical will do for $30 or so.
  14. pr2thej said:
    Will be tight. My 4850 is 9.25inches and it fits in my Antec 300 but is a complete pain to take in / out as i have to mess about with PSU wiring that runs over the top of the card.
    The 280 is 10.5inches long :s

The 280 isn't any bigger than the 260 is it? I don't recall having any trouble fitting that in my 300. I believe i routed the
    power cables underneath the card, using the case cable tidying slots, not over the top.
  15. Ya just checked theyre the same length. Go with Antec 300 then but stick a 280 in it. Perhaps spend the remainder on some PSU that can handle SLI so you could look to upgrade at a later date. Would need a slightly better mobo if that was the case though i believe as that one in the combo deal doesnt offer 2 lanes of PCI-E @ x16.

Hmm....

Bugger it, stick with the 300 and the 280 in the build above, and spend the rest on Steam :D
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Call of Duty Computers Crysis Graphics Video Games Product