Call Of Duty 4 Jumpy/Glitching

I got Call of Duty 4 yesterday for my computer. I installed it and I am running at the default settings at a resolution of 1024x768. Why does it get really jumpy anytime there is an explosion, lots of gunfire or airstrikes being called in? As long as there isn't a ton of stuff going on, it is fine. This only happens when everything gets pretty crazy and that's when I need it to stay smooth the most. Also, it is worse in multi-player online play than it is in single player offline play. Here is my PC configuration:

Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz Processor
BFG 8800GTX OC 768 MB RAM Video Card
4 GB Corsair PC6400 5-5-5-18 RAM
XFX nForce 680i LT Motherboard
Windows XP Professional SP2

Any ideas? I have never had any trouble with a game getting jumpy. I bought Frontlines Fuel of War and played it for 10 straights hours on 1680x1050 resolution and didn't have a bit of trouble. I am getting kind of frustrated because I know my computer is more than capable of running this game.

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about call duty jumpy glitching
  1. Install patches, update drivers, enable Vsync. You should easily be able to max that game out with that card.
  2. Yea, it is pretty frustrating. I have never had any trouble out of the video card running a game. I think some of it might be lag in the internet connection as a lot of people complain about that, but the jittery screen when things explode has me puzzled. I have the latest drivers for everything as far as I can tell.

How do I go about enabling Vsync?

Also, my screen only refreshes at 59 MHz or 60 MHz...which do I want or does it really matter?

Could any of the hardware other than the video card be bottlenecking the system? I have a single 400 GB SATA hard drive and I was wondering if it could be glitching due to reading information from the hard drive. Would I notice any difference if I got two of the new 10K RPM Velociraptors and put them in a Raid configuration?
  3. Could be v sync. I think for nvidia, it's in the nvidia control panel under 3d settings on the left side. I had to do that for my 9600gt and it helped in some of my games.
  4. theres vsync on the options in cod4, its called vertical sync. 1fps per hz for monitor.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Call of Duty Computers Video Games