Direct Connection for file transfer

My old computer has Windows 98.
I can't make the connection between the two computers using the Wizard. I've
reached the Autodetect successfully and connected physically through the Com
Ports but nothing happens. My cable has 9 pin and 25 pin connections. i've
got a 9 pin female asdapter on the 25 pin connecter. Any suggestions?
Would I be better off to use the USB connections if I can find the right
cable?
--
JDY

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:35:02 -0800, "Rody"
<rody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My old computer has Windows 98.
>I can't make the connection between the two computers using the Wizard. I've
>reached the Autodetect successfully and connected physically through the Com
>Ports but nothing happens. My cable has 9 pin and 25 pin connections. i've
>got a 9 pin female asdapter on the 25 pin connecter. Any suggestions?
>Would I be better off to use the USB connections if I can find the right
>cable?

I believe you should get something called a "crossover cable". It twists
a wire right to be able to direct connect.

Another way to do it, with old-tech routers getting so cheap, is to get a
"router". I use a wireless B router here for my modest home network to
share a cable Internet connection, and between 3 computers, one win 98, we
can send files to other. A wireless B router is old tech and maybe you
can pick one up for $15, if you can even find one for sale. And you can
use wires too, you don't have to use the wireless part of it. A bonus of
most routers is they are also a hardware firewall, and you'd be doubly
protected using it & Windows XP's firewall. Or no software firewall
needed.

...D.

Well, I,m only trying to get my files across so i can give my old computer to
my daughter so really don't have a great interest in routing. As far as I can
see I've made the proper connection but still can't get the two computers to
talk to each other,

JDY

"...D." wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:35:02 -0800, "Rody"
> <rody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My old computer has Windows 98.
> >I can't make the connection between the two computers using the Wizard. I've
> >reached the Autodetect successfully and connected physically through the Com
> >Ports but nothing happens. My cable has 9 pin and 25 pin connections. i've
> >got a 9 pin female asdapter on the 25 pin connecter. Any suggestions?
> >Would I be better off to use the USB connections if I can find the right
> >cable?
>
> I believe you should get something called a "crossover cable". It twists
> a wire right to be able to direct connect.
>
> Another way to do it, with old-tech routers getting so cheap, is to get a
> "router". I use a wireless B router here for my modest home network to
> share a cable Internet connection, and between 3 computers, one win 98, we
> can send files to other. A wireless B router is old tech and maybe you
> can pick one up for $15, if you can even find one for sale. And you can
> use wires too, you don't have to use the wireless part of it. A bonus of
> most routers is they are also a hardware firewall, and you'd be doubly
> protected using it & Windows XP's firewall. Or no software firewall
> needed.
>
> ...D.

Byte

You need an RJ-45 crossover cable if both of the PCs have a port to connect.
At Radio Shack about $6.00 Then use the Files and settings transfer wizard
under Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>transfer wizard