Oblivion runs slow

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
ANyone knows if oblivion uses dual core or quad cores or if it only uses one core? I ask because I am getting really bad fps in it on ultra high settings (even high). I never played it before and recently installed it. For some reason it runs good but when the king and his men in the beginniing start fighting or are around it dips to like 25 fps. I havent had the chance to test the outside fps in grass etc. but I was expecting like 100 fps average like im getting on mount and blade or the first stalker since those came out a lot after oblivion.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Its marketed as multithreaded but in reality i believe only a small portion of physics processing is offloaded. There will be a difference between single / multi core CPU's but it is more limited by your GPU.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

Well I have a C2D @ 3Ghz, 2GB and a 8800GT which is identical to your 9800GT and I have to say the game doesn’t exactly fly. I can’t play with max settings at 1920x1200 with AA turned on so I suggest there’s nothing wrong with your system and you should ease of the AA and turn down the settings (start with Shadows they tend to be a bit of hog).

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i'm not too sure about Oblivions prerequisites either but im going to test it on my system. ill keep you updated, if i cant run it chances are this game is horribly optimized.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I also realized when i kept shadows on grass on, it only appears (shadows on grass) on some areas of the game, and it dips like 10 fps lower if not more.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
shadows ALWAYS seem to eat up FPS. dont ask me why, you would think the physics for it would have been coded a lot more effectively by now.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Turn the Grass OFF. it means you can't see items on the floor, and is a total system hog.
Turn the internal and external shadows down as much as you can.
Even though this game has been out a while, it still take quite a bit of hardware to run it maxxed out (I certainly can't)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Shadows do baffle me, but then when you think that every world object has a shadow, and the density and position needs to be rendered with each movement. Its much different to a texture which is fairly static.

Always the first thing to go for me as well anyway. Im gonna have to grab the game and see how well i can run it, only played it on Xbox which was horrible tbh.

cassembler

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
http://tweakguides.com/

Great site for specific PC games and relevant adjustments to them. In Oblivion's case, simply editing the Oblivion.ini file can yield great results (in both fps and visual quality).

An essential performance mod is the "low poly grass" mod. A solid alternative to turning grass off.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

you cant max it out on your rig? ur kidding.