Router configuration password safety

Hello all,

After initial problems due to ignorance on my part I have setup a wireless
WPA-protected network succesfully. To access the router configuration I
enter the router's IP in IE as is common for most, if not all, routers. I
am prompted to enter a password and then have access to the config page.

Now the funny thing: if I bookmark that page once I entered I can access it
anytime by selecting it from the bookmarks, without being prompted for a
password.... What is the bloody point of the password if it can be by-
passed that easily? The URLs of these config pages must be known to people
who try to hack wireless networks. On top of that my particular router
shows the Passphrase in plain text instead of asterisks....unbelievable.

I assume the WPA encryption will keep anyone out, but I find it kind of
hard to believe this 'safety' is so easily bypassed.

If anyone thinks I should change the way I use WPA (passphrase, very hard
to guess) I would gladly learn about it.

Leon

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Leon wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After initial problems due to ignorance on my part I have setup a wireless
> WPA-protected network succesfully. To access the router configuration I
> enter the router's IP in IE as is common for most, if not all, routers. I
> am prompted to enter a password and then have access to the config page.
>
> Now the funny thing: if I bookmark that page once I entered I can access it
> anytime by selecting it from the bookmarks, without being prompted for a
> password.... What is the bloody point of the password if it can be by-
> passed that easily? The URLs of these config pages must be known to people
> who try to hack wireless networks. On top of that my particular router
> shows the Passphrase in plain text instead of asterisks....unbelievable.
>
> I assume the WPA encryption will keep anyone out, but I find it kind of
> hard to believe this 'safety' is so easily bypassed.
>
> If anyone thinks I should change the way I use WPA (passphrase, very hard
> to guess) I would gladly learn about it.
>
> Leon

Try clearing your cookies and see what happens.

Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in

> Try clearing your cookies and see what happens.

I Did. It changes nothing, I can still access the config page via
Favorites...

Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in news:llYYc.460319$RY5.68665
@news.easynews.com:

> Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in
>

>> Try clearing your cookies and see what happens.
>>

> I Did. It changes nothing, I can still access the config page via
> Favorites...

Oh how excited I was with my quick reply... I should have said: I can
access the LOGIN page, but now have to enter the password. Thanks for
giving me more peace of mind!

Cheers,

-Leon-

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Leon wrote:
> Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in news:llYYc.460319$RY5.68665
> @news.easynews.com:
>

>>Rôgêr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Try clearing your cookies and see what happens.
>>>

>>I Did. It changes nothing, I can still access the config page via
>>Favorites...
>>

> Oh how excited I was with my quick reply... I should have said: I can
> access the LOGIN page, but now have to enter the password. Thanks for
> giving me more peace of mind!
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Leon-

No problem.