WiFi Audio Streamer

Is there any audio device where I can stream over WiFi. I want to take a
line-level input (i.e. from a HiFi) and transmit it over WiFi using the
compression built into the box, and the receiving box will decode the
signal?

I'm hoping for a device that uses WiFi so it won't conflict with my current
network. I know there are 2.4ghz transmitters but I heard they're not that
great....

If the box can also support MP3s, WMA, etc that would be nice.

Here is a picture to illsutrate things:

HiFi -> Transmitter ---Wireless Link ---> Receiver ---> Stereo

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
More about wifi audio streamer

    Many people use FM transmitters for this, since most stereos have FM
    receivers. Besides not interfering with Wi-Fi, the FM signal will
    have better coverage and can be received by stereos in multiple
    locations, without a special interface on each.

    Lucas Tam wrote:

    > Is there any audio device where I can stream over WiFi. I want to take
    > line-level input (i.e. from a HiFi) and transmit it over WiFi using the

    > compression built into the box, and the receiving box will decode the
    > signal?

    > I'm hoping for a device that uses WiFi so it won't conflict with my
    > current
    > network. I know there are 2.4ghz transmitters but I heard they're not
    > that
    > great....

    > If the box can also support MP3s, WMA, etc that would be nice.

    > Here is a picture to illsutrate things:

    > HiFi -> Transmitter ---Wireless Link ---> Receiver ---> Stereo

    Several manufacturers make the receiving part of the link you are looking
    for. SMC is the one I have a link for:
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=308&site=c
    There is also a company called Prismiq, Inc.
    Those are designed to handle MP3, WMA and other popular multimedia formats.

    As far as I know no one makes the transmitter end of it, maybe for the
    reason of having the competition from those 2.4GHz transmitters. It would
    be cost prohibitive to convert the audio twice, and there are specialized
    devices that already do that.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    alt.internet.wireless - 38210 messages and counting!

    info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com))
    wrote in news:ee0Zc.43410$JG7.7459@hydra.nntpserver.com:

    > Several manufacturers make the receiving part of the link you are
    > looking for. SMC is the one I have a link for:
    > http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=308&s
    > ite=c There is also a company called Prismiq, Inc.
    > Those are designed to handle MP3, WMA and other popular multimedia
    > formats.

    I know about these devices ... but unfortunately they have no "audio-in"
    feature. You can only playback pre-compressed audio.

    > As far as I know no one makes the transmitter end of it, maybe for the
    > reason of having the competition from those 2.4GHz transmitters. It
    > would be cost prohibitive to convert the audio twice, and there are
    > specialized devices that already do that.

    I'm worried that the existing non-wifi 2.4ghz transmitters would interfere
    with my wireless network and cordless phone... that's why I was hoping for
    a Wifi solution : (

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Wireless WiFi Audio Wireless Networking