Problem with read-only folders

January 22, 2005 9:20:43 PM

I have just upgraded to WXP from W98 and I am trying to re-install my Norton
anti-virus software. During installation I get the message:

"Error 1606. Could not access network location "::\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Desktop".

I assume this location is the relevant folders on disk C:.

I find that these folders have read-only access and I assume this is the
cause of the error.

However, whenever I try to unset the read-only box, it seems to work
initially but when I check the property again, it has gone back to
read-only.

Any advice will be very welcome.

With thanks,

Gerry

More about : problem read folders

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:20:44 PM

For questions about Symantec software I would try the Symantec knowledge
base:

"Error: "Error 1606. Could not access network location <file name and
location>" when attempting to install or uninstall Norton AntiVirus"
http://tinyurl.com/4llgr

Ted Zieglar

"Gerry" <gerry@home.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded to WXP from W98 and I am trying to re-install my
>Norton anti-virus software. During installation I get the message:
>
> "Error 1606. Could not access network location "::\Documents and
> Settings\All Users\Desktop".
>
> I assume this location is the relevant folders on disk C:.
>
> I find that these folders have read-only access and I assume this is the
> cause of the error.
>
> However, whenever I try to unset the read-only box, it seems to work
> initially but when I check the property again, it has gone back to
> read-only.
>
> Any advice will be very welcome.
>
> With thanks,
>
> Gerry