Problem with read-only folders

I have just upgraded to WXP from W98 and I am trying to re-install my Norton
anti-virus software. During installation I get the message:

"Error 1606. Could not access network location "::\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Desktop".

I assume this location is the relevant folders on disk C:.

I find that these folders have read-only access and I assume this is the
cause of the error.

However, whenever I try to unset the read-only box, it seems to work
initially but when I check the property again, it has gone back to
read-only.

Any advice will be very welcome.

With thanks,

Gerry
2 answers Last reply
More about problem read only folders

    For questions about Symantec software I would try the Symantec knowledge
    base:

    "Error: "Error 1606. Could not access network location <file name and
    location>" when attempting to install or uninstall Norton AntiVirus"
    http://tinyurl.com/4llgr

    Ted Zieglar

    "Gerry" <gerry@home.com> wrote in message
    >I have just upgraded to WXP from W98 and I am trying to re-install my
    >Norton anti-virus software. During installation I get the message:
    >
    > "Error 1606. Could not access network location "::\Documents and
    > Settings\All Users\Desktop".
    >
    > I assume this location is the relevant folders on disk C:.
    >
    > I find that these folders have read-only access and I assume this is the
    > cause of the error.
    >
    > However, whenever I try to unset the read-only box, it seems to work
    > initially but when I check the property again, it has gone back to
    > read-only.
    >
    > Any advice will be very welcome.
    >
    > With thanks,
    >
    > Gerry

    OK, thanks,

    Gerry

    > For questions about Symantec software I would try the Symantec knowledge
    > base:
    >
    > "Error: "Error 1606. Could not access network location <file name and
    > location>" when attempting to install or uninstall Norton AntiVirus"
    > http://tinyurl.com/4llgr
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Gerry" <gerry@home.com> wrote in message
    >>I have just upgraded to WXP from W98 and I am trying to re-install my
    >>Norton anti-virus software. During installation I get the message:
    >>
    >> "Error 1606. Could not access network location "::\Documents and
    >> Settings\All Users\Desktop".
    >>
    >> I assume this location is the relevant folders on disk C:.
    >>
    >> I find that these folders have read-only access and I assume this is the
    >> cause of the error.
    >>
    >> However, whenever I try to unset the read-only box, it seems to work
    >> initially but when I check the property again, it has gone back to
    >> read-only.
    >>
    >> Any advice will be very welcome.
    >>
    >> With thanks,
    >>
    >> Gerry