ERROR MESSAGE

First, I'm a computer idiot! No joke . . .

I'm not even sure if this is a "WINDOWS" problem. Here goes . . .

A message keeps popping up saying:

MSN6.EXE UNABLE TO LOCATE COMPONENTS

This application has failed to start because MFC42.DLL was not found

Before my son left for college I asked him to put the WORDPERFECT ICON on
his sister's desktop - after that (I think) this message started popping up.

I tried to reinstall WORDPERFECT but it won't let me saying:

INTERNAL ERROR 2738

SOMEONE OUT THERE HOPEFULLY HAS A CLUE . . . MAY YOU CAN TELL ME IF IT'S A
COREL/WORDPERFECT OR MICROSOFT PROBLEM SO I CAN CALL THEM ON MONDAY. My
high schooler needs to get her reports done! HELP

THANKS \

KATHY
I don't know whether I should call COREL/WORDPERFECT or MICROSOFT for help
on Monday
1 answer Last reply
More about error message

    2738 Could not access VBScript runtime for custom action [2]

    If WP uses Windows Installer to install then this is what the error means.

    VBScript doesn't use mfc42.dll.

    So I would type in Start Run
    sfc /scannow

    This will replace missing windows files. Some security software disables WScript (aka scripting, wsh, vbs, or js).
    http://www.uscricket.com
    "KATHY" <KATHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CF00ACC-392D-46A7-B756-2867AC7CE8B4@microsoft.com...
    > First, I'm a computer idiot! No joke . . .
    >
    > I'm not even sure if this is a "WINDOWS" problem. Here goes . . .
    >
    > A message keeps popping up saying:
    >
    > MSN6.EXE UNABLE TO LOCATE COMPONENTS
    >
    > This application has failed to start because MFC42.DLL was not found
    >
    > Before my son left for college I asked him to put the WORDPERFECT ICON on
    > his sister's desktop - after that (I think) this message started popping up.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall WORDPERFECT but it won't let me saying:
    >
    > INTERNAL ERROR 2738
    >
    > SOMEONE OUT THERE HOPEFULLY HAS A CLUE . . . MAY YOU CAN TELL ME IF IT'S A
    > COREL/WORDPERFECT OR MICROSOFT PROBLEM SO I CAN CALL THEM ON MONDAY. My
    > high schooler needs to get her reports done! HELP
    >
    > THANKS \
    >
    > KATHY
    > I don't know whether I should call COREL/WORDPERFECT or MICROSOFT for help
    > on Monday

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP