New XP user looking for help?

Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP users
can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people. Would
anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is a
good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to interview a
woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice. Thanks
in advance!

Ask your questions. I'm sure a number of people will reply.

"cbgal" <a_munroe(donotspam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP
> users
> can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people.
> Would
> anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is
> good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to
> interview a
> woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice.
> Thanks
> in advance!

Gordon

cbgal wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP users
> can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people. Would
> anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is a
> good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to interview a
> woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice. Thanks
> in advance!
This isn't a "site" it's a Newsgroup which just happens to have a web
interface as well.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and

Hello,
I could say something as to why this is a good "site" to use. I, personally,
like this "site" because any one person can come out to this newsgroup(s)
with just about any one problem, and usually can find an answer. Now, here's
the beauty of it, it's possible to get five or more replies to your
question, and since different computers act differently to the various
solutions, the multiple replies open up to a wide range of different facts,
opinions, and solutions. The good thing about that is, the fact that you
don't *have* to do anything that is suggested here, its purely optional, and
the newsgroup is free to use.

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> cbgal wrote:
>> Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP
>> users can find good help online. This seems like a good community of
>> people. Would anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me
>> about why this is a good site so I can reference it in my article? I've
>> been asked to interview a woman who had trouble setting up XP who came
>> here looking for advice. Thanks in advance!
> This isn't a "site" it's a Newsgroup which just happens to have a web
> interface as well.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User no 240308
> Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
> counting!)
> gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> to email me remove the obvious!

Gordon
If you cannot help why don't you go to the Linux "SITE" newsgroup
and provide it with your help?????

"Gordon" wrote:

> cbgal wrote:
> > Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP users
> > can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people. Would
> > anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is a
> > good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to interview a
> > woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice. Thanks
> > in advance!
> This isn't a "site" it's a Newsgroup which just happens to have a web
> interface as well.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User no 240308
> Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
> counting!)
> gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> to email me remove the obvious!

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry about the "site" slip..

I appreciate Tony's response about different computers responding
differently to problems. I hadn't considered that. I'll definitely point that
out in my article.

Does anyone have any insight into what the biggest or most common issue is
for newbies to XP? As frequent users of this newsgroup, do you see common
themes?

Thanks again,
cbgal

"cbgal" wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP users
> can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people. Would
> anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is a
> good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to interview a
> woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice. Thanks
> in advance!

Hello again,
The most common problem(s) I see in these newsgroups are hardware issues.
Either the hardware stopped working after the user may have upgraded to
Windows XP, or they download a major update (such as a Service Pack) without
reading up on any documentation on it, provided by Microsoft AND their PC
Manufacturer. The Service Pack issues seemed to have slowed down some, but I
still do see the occasional post about something going wrong post Service
Pack. It's really a variety of problems though, so it's hard to focus on
just one or two, but I'd have to say what I listed above is what I,
personally, have seen occur most often. If you need some more information,
just post back, and I'll see if I can provide some more information.

> Thank you all for your replies. Sorry about the "site" slip..
>
> I appreciate Tony's response about different computers responding
> differently to problems. I hadn't considered that. I'll definitely point
> that
> out in my article.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into what the biggest or most common issue is
> for newbies to XP? As frequent users of this newsgroup, do you see common
> themes?
>
> Thanks again,
> cbgal
>
> "cbgal" wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone. I'm writing an article about XP, specifically where new XP
>> users
>> can find good help online. This seems like a good community of people.
>> Would
>> anyone here be willing to answer a few questions for me about why this is
>> good site so I can reference it in my article? I've been asked to
>> interview a
>> woman who had trouble setting up XP who came here looking for advice.
>> Thanks
>> in advance!

"cbgal" <a_munroe(donotspam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you all for your replies. Sorry about the "site" slip..
>
> I appreciate Tony's response about different computers responding
> differently to problems. I hadn't considered that. I'll definitely point
> that
> out in my article.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into what the biggest or most common issue is
> for newbies to XP? As frequent users of this newsgroup, do you see common
> themes?
>
> Thanks again,
> cbgal
>
> "cbgal" wrote:

Spyware.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Gordon

Jessie the flower of Dunblane wrote:
> Gordon
> If you cannot help why don't you go to the Linux "SITE" newsgroup
> and provide it with your help?????
>
> "Gordon" wrote:

What, like the "help" you give?

--

cbgal wrote:
> Thank you all for your replies. Sorry about the "site" slip..

No probs, but it's a good thing that newbies to this group realise that
it's a newsgroup with a web interface, rather than a web-based forum !

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(3 weeks and
counting!)
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
to email me remove the obvious!

Gordon

Jessie the flower of Dunblane wrote:
> Gordon
> If you cannot help why don't you go to the Linux "SITE" newsgroup
> and provide it with your help?????

Etiquette and posting behaviour is completely different depending on
whether the poster is in a Newsgroup or a Web-based forum. This is a
Newsgroup that just happens to have a web interface, and not a Web-based
forum, therefore it is a Good Idea that newbies here understand that.

--

cbgal wrote:

> Does anyone have any insight into what the biggest or most common issue is
> for newbies to XP? As frequent users of this newsgroup, do you see common
> themes?

I used to come here 18 months ago when I got my new computer with XP.
Have just started revisiting out of curiosity and discovered there are
still people asking where Word is? So many people don't seem to know
that Word is not part of an OS because it used to often come
preinstalled on new computers I gather.

In news:41f42595_1@news.iprimus.com.au,
miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com> typed:
> cbgal wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have any insight into what the biggest or most
>> common
>> issue is for newbies to XP? As frequent users of this
>> newsgroup, do
>> you see common themes?
>
> I used to come here 18 months ago when I got my new computer
> with XP.
> Have just started revisiting out of curiosity and discovered
> there are
> still people asking where Word is? So many people don't seem to
> know
> that Word is not part of an OS because it used to often come
> preinstalled on new computers I gather.

It's still a very common question, because people are still
getting new computers that come without Word, and their old ones
came with it (or Microsoft Office)

But I don't think it's anywhere near the most common issue. The
most common problem that people are running into these days,
newbies to XP or not, is spyware.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Seems like you gave as much help as i did
Jessie
"Gordon" wrote:

> Jessie the flower of Dunblane wrote:
> > Gordon
> > If you cannot help why don't you go to the Linux "SITE" newsgroup
> > and provide it with your help?????
> >
> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >

> What, like the "help" you give?
>
> --
> Registered Linux User no 240308
> Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
> counting!)
> gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> to email me remove the obvious!

Hi Cbgal,
I would point users here, and to the recently added
'microsoft.public.security.homeusers' newsgroup

Yes, the NG's are a community of people helping others. Many come here
initially seeking advice, and stay to dish some out.

Another spot to point new users would be
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx
for best practices.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP