Your question
Solved

Random freezes

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 25, 2010 1:53:48 PM

System:
Mbo: Gigabyte GA-890XA
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz (955 Black Edition)
Ram: Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Video: Asus EAH5770
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

MS Windows 7 64b

The first week after running my new system, there was no problems. I install all of my favourite software … then I added some more ram, the same type that I got (: Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz) for a total of 8 gigs. Then I start experiencing random freezes. The first thing I started to do is to make sure that I had all update drivers and win7. Then I started to notice that every time that I was online and loaded sites with flash on it, my system would lock up. So I believe that it was a software conflict. I started to uninstall some of my software starting with flash. It got to the point that a fresh install seem to be the best thing, so I reinstall win7. And just after installing... with no other software installed it locked up. So now it’s a OS or Hardware issue. I ran a memory test and it past (99 pass through) with all 8 gigs of ram. I removed 4 gigs and I had no problems. I did search to see if there were any issues with mbo … and I noticed that a lot of other people with different hardware were having the same issues. So it seems to me that it’s an OS issue, has anyone been able to fix this issue?

BTW, did MS dropped the blue screen of death?

More about : random freezes

August 26, 2010 8:21:43 PM

This sounds like a pretty specific problem. I can't help you with this, so I'm breaking my own rule and am going to suggest posting this in the Microsoft Answers Forums if after a while here on Tom's Hardware, no one is able to help out.

The Microsoft folks on that forum should have a solution for you. Best of luck.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx...

Just click "Ask a question".

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

EDIT: I would just copy/paste what you wrote above. They love when the users provide all that info initially.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 1:44:46 PM

darklord68 said:
System:
Mbo: Gigabyte GA-890XA
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz (955 Black Edition)
Ram: Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Video: Asus EAH5770
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

MS Windows 7 64b

The first week after running my new system, there was no problems. I install all of my favourite software … then I added some more ram, the same type that I got (: Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz) for a total of 8 gigs. Then I start experiencing random freezes. The first thing I started to do is to make sure that I had all update drivers and win7. Then I started to notice that every time that I was online and loaded sites with flash on it, my system would lock up. So I believe that it was a software conflict. I started to uninstall some of my software starting with flash. It got to the point that a fresh install seem to be the best thing, so I reinstall win7. And just after installing... with no other software installed it locked up. So now it’s a OS or Hardware issue. I ran a memory test and it past (99 pass through) with all 8 gigs of ram. I removed 4 gigs and I had no problems. I did search to see if there were any issues with mbo … and I noticed that a lot of other people with different hardware were having the same issues. So it seems to me that it’s an OS issue, has anyone been able to fix this issue?

BTW, did MS dropped the blue screen of death?

For piece of mind Memtest your ram one stick at a time this method will definitely rule out any ram issues.
Another option is to reset/clear your CMOS sometimes it can become corrupted.
Also have you updated your CCC version lately?
Another strong possibility of what's causing you grief.
If you have i would go back to the last stable version you were running.
Related resources
August 27, 2010 2:30:32 PM

Yesterday I ran a memtest (memTest86) one stick at a time (4x) and had no errors. I just updated the BIOS, I haven't added the other 4 gigs yet. By the way, what is "CCC"

thank you
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:45:28 PM

Just an update, after updating my BIOS, I added the other 4 gigs and my system locked up again just after the desktop was load ...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 7:57:51 PM

darklord68 said:
Yesterday I ran a memtest (memTest86) one stick at a time (4x) and had no errors. I just updated the BIOS, I haven't added the other 4 gigs yet. By the way, what is "CCC"

thank you

CCC is ATI Catalyst Control Center.
m
l
August 28, 2010 2:09:43 AM

oh ... okay, yes it's update. earlier today I when to Mushkin web-site and notice that the ram is 1.7v and in the BIOS it was on the default 1.5v. I changed it and so far so good ... it hasn't locked up on me ... if it doesn't lock up on me within the next 18hr I bet that it's fixed. it normally would lock up within 24hr or sooner.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2010 3:25:19 AM

darklord68 said:
oh ... okay, yes it's update. earlier today I when to Mushkin web-site and notice that the ram is 1.7v and in the BIOS it was on the default 1.5v. I changed it and so far so good ... it hasn't locked up on me ... if it doesn't lock up on me within the next 18hr I bet that it's fixed. it normally would lock up within 24hr or sooner.

That would definitely be your source of instability.
m
l
August 31, 2010 1:48:43 PM

It was the issue, it's been now 4 days and my system only locked once on the first day. Now it's my system is running fine
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:42:15 AM

Best answer selected by darklord68.
m
l
!