XP - Safe Hardware Removal tool

believe it or not - I am fairly new to XP - it's on my new laptop ;-) and I
have a question.

when I plug in a zip drive or a scanner/printer the icon the taskbar icon is
activated for the Safe Hardware Removal tool.

Is it OK to disable this feature - my son insists that with XP it isn't
necessary?
--

Eve
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. --

    Unless the device you are using is considered "hot swappable", i.e., safe to
    removing without stopping; it's better to use the safe hardware removal
    tool.

    Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
    participation only.
    "Eve Sings ;-)" <NewsGroups4Eve@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > believe it or not - I am fairly new to XP - it's on my new laptop ;-) and
    > have a question.
    >
    > when I plug in a zip drive or a scanner/printer the icon the taskbar icon
    > is
    > activated for the Safe Hardware Removal tool.
    >

    > Is it OK to disable this feature - my son insists that with XP it isn't
    > necessary?
    > --
    >
    > Eve
    > Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. --
    > T.H. Huxley

    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Eve Sings ;-)" <NewsGroups4Eve@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > believe it or not - I am fairly new to XP - it's on my new laptop ;-) and
    > have a question.
    >
    > when I plug in a zip drive or a scanner/printer the icon the taskbar icon
    > is
    > activated for the Safe Hardware Removal tool.
    >

    > Is it OK to disable this feature - my son insists that with XP it isn't
    > necessary?
    > --
    >
    > Eve
    > Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. --
    > T.H. Huxley

    Hi Eve,

    As was pointed out, if the device is not hot-swappable, not using it is a
    bad idea. If you don't, and a data transfer was not complete at the time of
    removal, you may experience corruption of the data (both at the source and
    at the transfer point), and of the device drivers in use (something you
    really don't want, trust me).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Eve Sings ;-)" <NewsGroups4Eve@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > believe it or not - I am fairly new to XP - it's on my new laptop ;-) and
    > have a question.
    >
    > when I plug in a zip drive or a scanner/printer the icon the taskbar icon
    > is
    > activated for the Safe Hardware Removal tool.
    >

    > Is it OK to disable this feature - my son insists that with XP it isn't
    > necessary?
    > --
    >
    > Eve
    > Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. --
    > T.H. Huxley

    I'll err on the side of better judgment and use the thing - although I like
    streamlining when I can.
    --

    > Hi Eve,
    >
    > As was pointed out, if the device is not hot-swappable, not using it is a
    > bad idea. If you don't, and a data transfer was not complete at the time
    > of removal, you may experience corruption of the data (both at the source
    > and at the transfer point), and of the device drivers in use (something
    > you really don't want, trust me).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Eve Sings ;-)" <NewsGroups4Eve@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> believe it or not - I am fairly new to XP - it's on my new laptop ;-) and
    >> have a question.
    >>
    >> when I plug in a zip drive or a scanner/printer the icon the taskbar icon
    >> is
    >> activated for the Safe Hardware Removal tool.
    >>

    >> Is it OK to disable this feature - my son insists that with XP it isn't
    >> necessary?
    >> --
    >>
    >> Eve
    >> Try to learn something about everything and everything about
    >> something. --
    >> T.H. Huxley

Hardware Windows XP