install win XP in a second computer

can i install the same software to my older computer and have it activated ?
thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about install computer

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:13:01 -0800, abay wrote:

    > can i install the same software to my older computer and have it activated ?
    > thanks

    If Win XP is still installed on the first computer, no. You need a separate
    license for each machine.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    If you have:

    - a second license for the other system, sure.
    - a retail version of WindowsXP and have removed it from the current system,
    sure.

    You can't do it if:

    - you don't have a second license and want to install it on two systems
    concurrently.
    - you have an OEM version that came with the currently installed system.
    - you bought an OEM full version and already activated it on the current
    system.

    In the case of the latter two, and OEM license is generally not transferable
    to new hardware. You're stuck with whatever it was activated on.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    abay wrote:
    > can i install the same software to my older computer and have it activated ?
    > thanks

    No. You need to purchase a separate WinXP Pro license for each
    computer on which you install it.

    As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating systems,
    it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
    copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
    technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
    is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
    final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
    licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
    Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
    Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
    multiple installations using a single license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You know about activation. Therefore you know what activation is for.
    Therefore you already know the answer!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "abay" <abay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can i install the same software to my older computer and have it activated
    > ?
    > thanks

Computers Microsoft Windows XP