d-link DI 614+ new firmware (3.35) rant

I've had just about enough of this router and I will be replacing it as
soon as I can get hold of some cash. Here is my advice to anyone reading
this post: do NOT buy a d-link router.

My first router literally went up in smoke. D-Link exchanged it
My second overheated and died. D-Link reluctantly exchanged it.
My third router is a revision b (smaller) version. I thought this would
mean all of the problems with the previous routers will be solved in
this model. I SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT AGAIN!

My third router keeps spontaneously rebooting for no reason in a similar
way to my revision a routers before they died. It doesn't seem to be
overheating (I opened the unit up to check as it is now out of warranty
anyway). I thought I might be able to fix this problem by upgrading to
the latest firmware. That was a big mistake. These are the new bugs
added in firmware 3.35 (thanks d-link!):

The links on the http interface do not function now on any browser other
than Internet Explorer
Some pages do not even render correctly on non-Internet Explorer browsers.
When static DHCP has been enabled, the router goes into a rebooting fit
and the only way to recover is by factory resetting the unit and loosing
all your settings and rules.

I tried re-downloading the firmware to ensure it was not corrupt and my
router behaved exactly the same way. I can't re-flash my previous
firmware (3.20) because d-link has removed it from their site :(

Can anyone recommend a decent router? I'm considering trying one of
Netgear or Linksys' offerings.

Try firmware 3.43. It fixed most of the DI-614+ rev b problems I had-works
pretty well now both as a WAP and as a router.
Chris Unitt <chris_unitt@hotmail.com> wrote:

snip

>My third router keeps spontaneously rebooting for no reason in a similar
>way to my revision a routers before they died. It doesn't seem to be
>overheating (I opened the unit up to check as it is now out of warranty
>anyway). I thought I might be able to fix this problem by upgrading to
>the latest firmware. That was a big mistake. These are the new bugs
>added in firmware 3.35 (thanks d-link!):

snip
>I tried re-downloading the firmware to ensure it was not corrupt and my
>router behaved exactly the same way. I can't re-flash my previous
>firmware (3.20) because d-link has removed it from their site :(
>
>Can anyone recommend a decent router? I'm considering trying one of
>Netgear or Linksys' offerings.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi sded,

sded wrote:
> Try firmware 3.43. It fixed most of the DI-614+ rev b problems I had-works
> pretty well now both as a WAP and as a router.

Cheers for that, I didn't know there was a version higher than 3.35
because that’s the only version available from the UK site:
http://tinyurl.com/5c8zp

I'm a bit sceptical about downloading the US firmware. Are the US and UK
versions of the firmware the same or are they tailored for the specific
country the router is in?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi sded,