How to setup New user account in a separate drive

January 23, 2005 3:07:01 PM

I like create new user accounts in a separate drive ( ie in d:\ for example)
and also move all existing accounts to this drive. Can I just move the
Documents and Setting directory to new drive? If I just drag and drop it will
is foul my system?
Thanks in advance
--
Seng
Anonymous

Try this:

"How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)"
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm

Ted Zieglar

"Seng" <Seng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I like create new user accounts in a separate drive ( ie in d:\ for
>example)
> and also move all existing accounts to this drive. Can I just move the
> Documents and Setting directory to new drive? If I just drag and drop it
> will
> is foul my system?
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Seng
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:15:55 PM

Thanks Ted Zieglar. Will the future new account will be automatically
redirected to the new location or should I move them the same way?
Seng

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Try this:
>
> "How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)"
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Seng" <Seng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I like create new user accounts in a separate drive ( ie in d:\ for
> >example)
> > and also move all existing accounts to this drive. Can I just move the
> > Documents and Setting directory to new drive? If I just drag and drop it
> > will
> > is foul my system?
> > Thanks in advance
> > --
> > Seng

January 23, 2005 8:50:24 PM

User accounts can't be moved off the system drive. By following the
directions in the article, the shell accounts you move will be located on
the drives you choose.

> Thanks Ted Zieglar. Will the future new account will be automatically
> redirected to the new location or should I move them the same way?
> Seng
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> "How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)"
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Seng" <Seng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I like create new user accounts in a separate drive ( ie in d:\ for
>> >example)
>> > and also move all existing accounts to this drive. Can I just move the
>> > Documents and Setting directory to new drive? If I just drag and drop
>> > it
>> > will
>> > is foul my system?
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > --
>> > Seng

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:59:42 PM

Hi Seng,

See: Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;236621

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User