Emergency help needed

During SP2 update, I got a following error:

***********

Copy Error

Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys

Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert
'Windows XP System Files' in the drive you specify

**********

I ignored the warning because I could not solve the problem. XP SP2 Setup
program was continued without creating a backup copy of the Atapi.sys file.
When booted, the computer got frozen at Welcome screen stage. Is there
any way to fix the problem at this stage? Satoshi
1 answer Last reply
More about emergency needed

    Hi Craig,

    See if this applies:

    "Copy Error: Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys" error message when you
    try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884675

    You may want to try safe mode with command prompt, then run the spuninst.exe
    file under C:\Windows\$NtServicePackuninstall$\spuninst.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Craig" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > During SP2 update, I got a following error:
    >
    > ***********
    >
    > Copy Error
    >
    > Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys
    >
    > Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and
    > insert 'Windows XP System Files' in the drive you specify

    > I ignored the warning because I could not solve the problem. XP SP2
    > Setup program was continued without creating a backup copy of the
    > Atapi.sys file.
    > When booted, the computer got frozen at Welcome screen stage. Is there
    > any way to fix the problem at this stage? Satoshi

Microsoft Windows XP