Emergency help needed

January 23, 2005 7:13:26 PM

During SP2 update, I got a following error:

***********

Copy Error

Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys

Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert
'Windows XP System Files' in the drive you specify

**********

I ignored the warning because I could not solve the problem. XP SP2 Setup
program was continued without creating a backup copy of the Atapi.sys file.
When booted, the computer got frozen at Welcome screen stage. Is there
any way to fix the problem at this stage? Satoshi

More about : emergency needed

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:41:12 PM

Hi Craig,

See if this applies:

"Copy Error: Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys" error message when you
try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884675

You may want to try safe mode with command prompt, then run the spuninst.exe
file under C:\Windows\$NtServicePackuninstall$\spuninst.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone