Gaming microphone

kellogs908

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I just started getting into pc gaming, because I was finally able to afford a pretty decent build, me and my housemates are gonna start playign some games online together so of course I need a mic, problem is I dont want a headset that play in game sounds, I want one that somehow just has the mic fuctionality and that I can hear chat on, I bought my 5.1 sound system for a reason I dont want to listen to the game through headphones. From what I am told I can not setup the headphones/mic combo to just play chat sounds? if that is the case is there anything that will? What if I got the xbox 360 wireless headset ( I have the 360 pc connector so I can connect a 360 controller to my pc) would that do what I want?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Any any USB headset can do that if you use external software for voice chat (like Ventrilo or TeamSpeak). All you have to do is set the default output on your system to your sound card, and use the advanced settings in the voice chat software to output to the USB headset.

RickFla

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
For those instances where you can't always control the audio through seperate outputs (Configuration doesn't always hold), get a 1/2 duplex USB Adapter for mic only. A speaker input is provided for pass-through convenience. These are unfortunately going away soon, but it will do what you ask.

Then, connect a headset to the USB adapter. Any headset will do as long as it's not a USB headset. http://www.microphones.com/microphone.cfm?URLID=12

Rick

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
If you have a sound card, use a jack version and not a USB one as the sound cards I have seen do not have a USB plug for them.

~Death Dream~