Windows XP Pro and DOS Shell Software on a small network

1. Scenario: I consult to a physician's small office. We have a small network
with all the older computers on Windows 98SE and 2 new ones with XP Pro. One
of the older eMachine PII computers acts as the "server." As of 2 weeks ago,
he had a DSL line installed with a Netopia router and each 'puter now has its
own IP designated from the DHCP function of the router.
2. Problem: The office management software is a very old program that works
through a DOS shell. The older computers can all see the server path and
access the old .bat file that opens the software. However, even after mapping
the same drive ("S") to the XP Pro machines and selecting the exact same
batch file to start the program, all I get is a VERY quick command window
that pops up and VERY quickly disappears. Two of the "older" computers had
actually been running XP Pro when he got them and I had to reinstall Windows
98SE so he could use them.

Any ideas or advice? Please??
--
Thank you for advice & ideas!

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

As a starting point, add a pause at the end of the bat file (before any cls
or exit command) so when you launch it from the XP machine you can see what
happens and any error messages. Post the result back here and the content
of the batch file. There are too many possibilities to advise further
without some more specific information.
--

"SteveG" <SteveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1. Scenario: I consult to a physician's small office. We have a small
> network
> with all the older computers on Windows 98SE and 2 new ones with XP Pro.
> One
> of the older eMachine PII computers acts as the "server." As of 2 weeks
> ago,
> he had a DSL line installed with a Netopia router and each 'puter now has
> its
> own IP designated from the DHCP function of the router.
> 2. Problem: The office management software is a very old program that
> works
> through a DOS shell. The older computers can all see the server path and
> access the old .bat file that opens the software. However, even after
> mapping
> the same drive ("S") to the XP Pro machines and selecting the exact same
> batch file to start the program, all I get is a VERY quick command window
> that pops up and VERY quickly disappears. Two of the "older" computers had
> actually been running XP Pro when he got them and I had to reinstall
> Windows
> 98SE so he could use them.
>
> Any ideas or advice? Please??
> --
> Thank you for advice & ideas!

GTS-Thanks. However I won't be at his office again till Wednesday, so I'll
try your advice then and then post here again. Thanks for the effort!