ECS K7S5A Pro and Athlon 1800+ Problems

YoungBull

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I just bought an ECS K7S5A Pro and an Athlon XP1800+ at Fry's and am having two problems with the setup. I just put in the new mobo/CPU along with 512 Kingston DDR and a new 120gb IBM Deskstar. I have everything up and running, but two things are keeping my system from being finished.

1) Although the computer recognizes the Athlon for what it is, for some reason the FSB gets set to 66mhz instead of the proper 133mhz automatically by the mobo. I am using an updated AMI BIOS and have set the CPU and RAM speed to 133mhz like they should be, but for some reason I can't change the FSB to run at 133! There are no jumpers to do this on the board since it is supposed to do it automatically and the BIOS doesn't offer any tweaks to let me select the speed manually. That is my first problem.

2) For some reason Windows XP Pro doesn't want to load up if I do a software restart of the computer. I select "restart" in Windows and is does everything fine up until is should being to load again and then stops doing anything. The only way for me to get it restarted again is to shut the power off and a few seconds, turn the computer back on, select "start Windows normally" on the corresponding screen that comes up when you have an improper shut down, and then everything starts up and works fine until I try to restart. I have a 350 watt power supply and am only using a Radeon 7500, so I don't know if the power is a problem or if I need to reinstall Windows.

Please lend me any advice or opinions on these problems that might help. I want to play Wolfenstein again. Thanks.

nightswalker

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
I bought the same system from frys about 4 months ago, except with a 2000+ processor. Everything worked fine from the get go, except I had to change the dram, and cpu frequency from 100mhz to 133mhz in the bios. I didn't upgrade bios or anthing like that. I dont even have the option to get as low as 66mhz ?

As for the bootup, it sounds to me more like a windows issue (are the on/off buttons on the mb connected correctly to the case?). I could be wrong on that front, but its worth a try to reinstall/format early rather than late.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
The ECS7S5A is a particularly picky mobo when it comes to power supply units. Make sure you have a good PSU (antec, Enermax...) not a generic one.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

gitrman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
That used to happen to my friend with his K7S5A and 1700+...I fixed it by setting the RAM timings back a bit (3T command rate and if that dosn't work cas3 latency) then setting the fsb/ram to 133/133...been working fine ever since

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
My brother in law runs that board too. Seems to me he did change brands of Ram because he was experiencing some abnormalities.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>