Sign in with
Your question

Help! Current Notebooks!

Last response: in Mobile Computing
December 24, 2004 10:56:07 PM

I am thinking about purchasing a notebook but I am having problem selecting or finding the product.

My intent of using the notebook will be primary for school work so I will be documenting and create some 3D modeling via SolidWorks or AutoCad. However, I also plan on watching DVD movies, listening to music, and if possible play 3D games such as Half-Life 2 or WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne.

So any recommendation of the notebook to suite my need? I am thinking about Dell, Compaq, or HP because I heard that they have a good reputation.

By the way, what display types are good? For example, usxga, sxga, etc... Is higher more better? Also, which is good when comparing AMD 64, Centrino, and Intel with HT? Which CPU produes less heat and noise?

More about : current notebooks

December 25, 2004 7:08:44 AM

If you want mobility, battery life, gaming possibility, and good rendering performance look no furthur than an IBM Thinkpad T42 with a 128mb ATI FireGL T2 graphics card. IBM Thinkpads are the Porsches of the laptop world.
If you plan on doing lots of 3d modeling work there arn't any other laptops avaliable with a true rendering card.

I have a T42 with a mobile radeon 9600pro and it can play HL2, Doom3, and Farcry just fine. The FireGL T2 is basically a rendering version of the 9600pro and will have similar performance in games. I also get about 6hrs of battery life so it easily lasts through a full day of school.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 25, 2004 12:15:19 PM

Well, I agree with folken that IBM's have been good. The question is: will they continue to be as good, now that the business is owned and run by the Chinese? Specifically, what will happen to customer service?

I'm not racist, but the Chinese view of customer service and the company-customer relationship is nothing like that of Western companies. That's based on my direct experience.

I would have to stay away from "IBM" laptops forsome time, until they've proved themselves one way or another.

Now, on the matter of a notebook, it matters a great deal how much the thing is going to be used on battery as opposed to wall plug. If it's going to spend most of its time on the wall plug, I'd say go with one of the 17" widescreen models from HP or Toshiba, depending on your budget. One thing I really like about the HP, besides the affordable price, is that it has one of the very few full 104-key keyboards on a notebook.

The Toshiba's are good, but suffer a little bit from an 82-key keyboard and a 15.4" widescreen display. Oh, and the HP has a built in memory card reader, which is good if you want to move camera pictures to your notebook.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>
Related resources
December 29, 2004 10:52:29 PM

There customer service must still be decent, I called w/ a q a little while ago and I got bob in the US who didn't have any crazy anccents :)  They were also quick to respond to my recent email questions.
Their only major downfall is price. If you can't afford them the next best bet is HP. Their newer models w/ Pentium M procs are VERY good.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 30, 2004 1:21:34 AM

Dell has excellent notebooks for what you describe.
I have had no problems with my Inspriron running AutoDesk LDD3 with 1024mb RAM

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 30, 2004 10:38:48 AM

I would guess that IBM hasn't turned over the keys, yet. As I said, we'll wait a while to see if the quality STAYS high. Lord knows, Legend (as the Chinese company was formerly called) didn't have the world's best rep.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>
January 3, 2005 10:28:01 PM

Hi can you point me to some news articles regarding that sale? I heard of it a few months back but thought it was just a hoax. Obviously now it isn't. Thanks

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
January 3, 2005 11:16:20 PM

Here's one- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/6666170/

There are lots more. Google it for "IBM sells PC business".

January 4, 2005 7:59:30 AM

Hey thanks mate

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
January 10, 2005 9:39:02 PM

Quote:
So any recommendation of the notebook to suite my need? I am thinking about Dell, Compaq, or HP because I heard that they have a good reputation.

It is true - bear in mind that Compaq/HP are the same company, and both themselves and Dell have their notebooks manufactured by predominately the same company - so their quality is somewhat similar (in broad terms).

Quote:
By the way, what display types are good? For example, usxga, sxga, etc... Is higher more better?

(W)XGA is bottom - standard 1024x768 resolution - a bit too low for a big screen, but hey it depends on you (W is for wide - 1280x800 resolution)
SXGA is 1280x1024 - quite good for a 14-15" display
(W)SXGA+ 1400x1050 - is most commonly found on 15" Displays (Wide is 1680x1050)
(W)UXGA 1600x1200 - is a very high resolution, and only really good if you want uniform colours and an almost invisible dot pitch - but you also need pretty good eyesight (Wide is 1920x1200)

With Notebook LCD panels you really need to go into a store, and find one you like and then order your notebook with that.

Quote:
Also, which is good when comparing AMD 64, Centrino, and Intel with HT? Which CPU produes less heat and noise?

The Pentium-M (Centrino CPU) is by far the best CPU for a notebook - with almost the same processing power as a top of the range P4, and better battery life than both that and the A64's, it's pretty much unbeatable.

Quote:
IBM Thinkpads are the Porsches of the laptop world.
If you plan on doing lots of 3d modeling work there arn't any other laptops avaliable with a true rendering card.

I wouldn't call IBM notebooks the porsche's of the notebook arena - When you think Porsche, you think 'fastest' which the thinkpads certainly are not. I'd say they're more like BMW's: They have all the right components, but IBM is more concerned with reliability and Customer Service than being the outright fastest notebook out there.

And there are other notebooks out their with "true" rendering cards. HP for instance have a couple in their Line-up and Dell have been supplying Workstation Graphics cards in their lineup for a lot longer than IBM... For instance the Precision M60 with the Quadro FX 1000.

Quote:
Well, I agree with folken that IBM's have been good. The question is: will they continue to be as good, now that the business is owned and run by the Chinese? Specifically, what will happen to customer service?

I don't really think that has any bearing on this - IBM's core philosophy's still shine through - they've always been about quality of the product, and its still all the same people at the helm...

Quote:
The Toshiba's are good, but suffer a little bit from an 82-key keyboard and a 15.4" widescreen display. Oh, and the HP has a built in memory card reader, which is good if you want to move camera pictures to your notebook.

...as do many Toshiba's. Toshiba is much like IBM in that they build Good Quality notebooks that are sturdy and can take quite a bit of abuse.

Look you really need to just go to all the major players websites(HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, Toshiba, Acer -and perhaps even the likes of Sager/Eurocom/Clevo) - and view what they have on offer. See what tickles your fancy from each one and compare them; then its a simple matter of choosing which ones are more suited to you and your lifestyle.

Regards,
RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
!