New computer build with windows 7 upgrade?

xln

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I'm putting together a new computer, will I be able to install Windows 7 with the windows 7 professional upgrade disk to the new system? The reason I'm asking is because I get the upgrade version for $29 via microsoft student deal and am trying to avoid purchasing the full version for $299...

xln

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
im asking if i can boot a fresh system on an upgrade version of windows 7.

i know you normally cant, but there was some writing about it on windows 7 student upgrade disk site that made it sound otherwise..

xln

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
so if i just right click my computer and use that product key for my XP media center, would and then install 7 on a computer without any windows before that, it would work?

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
XLn,

In order for the upgrade to be compatible with a computer's configuration the user must have Windows XP or Vista installed prior. If you currently do not have an operating system on this new build, you would have to purchase the full version.

You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

I read that you can do a clean install with a Windows 7 upgrade by inserting a genuine copy of any windows and entering the activation key when prompt.

Will you clarify this for me/us?

Thanks RB

Tom Griffin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Don't know about the upgrade pathway; but new pricing has been announced from Microsoft on OEM versions of Windows 7.

You have a couple of lower cost options to the $299.99 price for the 'retail' version of Windows 7.

You can choose between either the 32-bit or the 64-bit OEM version of Windows 7.

You can get the 64-bit OEM version at NewEgg for $134.99

Windows 7 64-bit OEM

Or the 32-bit version at the same price same place for the same amount

Windows 7 32-bit OEM

Those are full OEM versions of operating systems software. I can see the only problem is that I still wish I was a college student still working on a quantified Microsoft major with appropriate credentials. In essence to acquire stuff without paying out the nose in this regression.

Keith_H

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

The instructions for upgrading from XP states that a clean install is required. I have just installed Win7 Upgrade version on a clean disk (I still have xp in the computer on its original disk). Win7 installs but will not accept the licence key presumbly as it is on a fresh disk. How do I get it to recognise that this is an upgrade?

KeithH

Keith_H This is for YOU, NOT xin, who is tring do do an unauthorized (illegal ) install

I Just did a Clean install on a tosibia loptop using theit Upgrade disk.. Had win 7 RC installed on a SSD (Although I have a qualifing Operating system - it was not in the computer.

In my case, when I looked at MediaBootInstall it was already a "0" so closed regedit and acitvated.

Ref: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Alternate method.
(1) do a clean install (disconnect your XP HDD if installing on a 2nd HDD) WITHOUT entering your KEY. Uncheck activate as soon as installed.
(2) When it has installed, Let it do any updates. Reboot
(3) Reinstall over the top of your first install, this time entering your key.
When installation finishes you can check Dword for a "0". Shut down and reattach XP HDD if disconnected in (1). You can now dual boot to XP, or Win 7 using key during booting (F12 on My gigabyte MB)

TRENDING THREADS