It starts all by itself

Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If so
please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about starts itself

    Open the program and go through its menus. Look for a menu item that says
    Preferences, Options, something like that. In there you should find a
    checkbox that controls whether the program starts with Windows.

    Modem Ani

    "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
    so
    > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
    > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    Hi, DWyche.

    There are several ways to make a program run at startup. The first is to
    use Add or Remove Programs to get rid of it entirely. Another is a setting
    within that program, as Modem Ani said.

    Another is to include the program (or a shortcut to it) in your Startup
    folder. To check this, click Start | All Programs, then hover over Startup.
    If that program is in there, right-click on it and Delete it. Or move it to
    any other place in All Programs (just Drag'N'Drop it).

    Another way is click Start | Run and enter msconfig.exe. Check the Startup
    tab here.

    There are other ways to make a program run at startup, so if these don't
    work, post back, telling us exactly what you tried ("I tried EVERYTHING!"
    doesn't really tell us anything.) and what happened ("Didn't work" doesn't
    tell us much either.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
    > so
    > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
    > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    Hello this is DWYCHE1, I would like to thank you for helping me. I tried them
    all but what worked for me was to run msconfig.exe. I was able to uncheck
    the specific program and now when I log on the program does not run all by
    itself. Thank you R. C. White for your great information:) And thank you also
    Modem Ani for you info.

    "DWyche1" wrote:

    > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If so
    > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
    > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    Thank you R. C. White. I was able to resolve my problem by running the
    msconfig.exe option. I had already removed the program so the others
    wouldn't work in my case. I forgot to mention this in my original post. So
    the other options didn't really work for me. Thank you once again, DWYCHE1:)

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, DWyche.
    >
    > There are several ways to make a program run at startup. The first is to
    > use Add or Remove Programs to get rid of it entirely. Another is a setting
    > within that program, as Modem Ani said.
    >
    > Another is to include the program (or a shortcut to it) in your Startup
    > folder. To check this, click Start | All Programs, then hover over Startup.
    > If that program is in there, right-click on it and Delete it. Or move it to
    > any other place in All Programs (just Drag'N'Drop it).
    >
    > Another way is click Start | Run and enter msconfig.exe. Check the Startup
    > tab here.
    >
    > There are other ways to make a program run at startup, so if these don't
    > work, post back, telling us exactly what you tried ("I tried EVERYTHING!"
    > doesn't really tell us anything.) and what happened ("Didn't work" doesn't
    > tell us much either.)
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
    > > so
    > > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
    > > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    No disrespect to R.C., but the msconfig method should not be considered a
    permanent solution. It's like driving with a patched tire: It works, but
    what you really need is a new tire.

    Unchecking in msconfig interferes with a program's normal operation.
    Sometimes, but not always, that can cause problems for you. Msconfig is
    great as a diagnostic tool, like if you want to find out if a particular
    item is causing startup or shutdown problems.

    If a program doesn't let you prevent it from starting with Windows, I would
    contact the program's tech support for advice.

    > Hello this is DWYCHE1, I would like to thank you for helping me. I tried
    them
    > all but what worked for me was to run msconfig.exe. I was able to uncheck
    > the specific program and now when I log on the program does not run all by
    > itself. Thank you R. C. White for your great information:) And thank you
    also
    > Modem Ani for you info.
    >
    > "DWyche1" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup?
    If so
    > > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I
    logon
    > > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    Try looking under the folder called: (Local Drive):\Documents and
    Settings\(your user name)\Start Menu\programs\Startup

    See if you see the program you mentioned under this folder, if so, then
    delete it from there.

    Please reply to the newsgroup.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
    confers no rights.

    "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
    > so
    > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
    > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

    Hi, DWyche.

    You're welcome! Glad you got it working. ;<)

    RC

    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello this is DWYCHE1, I would like to thank you for helping me. I tried
    > them
    > all but what worked for me was to run msconfig.exe. I was able to uncheck
    > the specific program and now when I log on the program does not run all by
    > itself. Thank you R. C. White for your great information:) And thank you
    > also
    > Modem Ani for you info.
    >
    > "DWyche1" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
    >> so
    >> please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I
    >> logon
    >> and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

Microsoft Windows XP