Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
January 25, 2005 12:59:02 PM

Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If so
please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

More about : starts

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:40:07 PM

Open the program and go through its menus. Look for a menu item that says
Preferences, Options, something like that. In there you should find a
checkbox that controls whether the program starts with Windows.

Modem Ani

"DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
so
> please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
> and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:43:02 PM

Hi, DWyche.

There are several ways to make a program run at startup. The first is to
use Add or Remove Programs to get rid of it entirely. Another is a setting
within that program, as Modem Ani said.

Another is to include the program (or a shortcut to it) in your Startup
folder. To check this, click Start | All Programs, then hover over Startup.
If that program is in there, right-click on it and Delete it. Or move it to
any other place in All Programs (just Drag'N'Drop it).

Another way is click Start | Run and enter msconfig.exe. Check the Startup
tab here.

There are other ways to make a program run at startup, so if these don't
work, post back, telling us exactly what you tried ("I tried EVERYTHING!"
doesn't really tell us anything.) and what happened ("Didn't work" doesn't
tell us much either.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
> so
> please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
> and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:05:04 PM

Hello this is DWYCHE1, I would like to thank you for helping me. I tried them
all but what worked for me was to run msconfig.exe. I was able to uncheck
the specific program and now when I log on the program does not run all by
itself. Thank you R. C. White for your great information:)  And thank you also
Modem Ani for you info.

"DWyche1" wrote:

> Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If so
> please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
> and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:11:09 PM

Thank you R. C. White. I was able to resolve my problem by running the
msconfig.exe option. I had already removed the program so the others
wouldn't work in my case. I forgot to mention this in my original post. So
the other options didn't really work for me. Thank you once again, DWYCHE1:)

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, DWyche.
>
> There are several ways to make a program run at startup. The first is to
> use Add or Remove Programs to get rid of it entirely. Another is a setting
> within that program, as Modem Ani said.
>
> Another is to include the program (or a shortcut to it) in your Startup
> folder. To check this, click Start | All Programs, then hover over Startup.
> If that program is in there, right-click on it and Delete it. Or move it to
> any other place in All Programs (just Drag'N'Drop it).
>
> Another way is click Start | Run and enter msconfig.exe. Check the Startup
> tab here.
>
> There are other ways to make a program run at startup, so if these don't
> work, post back, telling us exactly what you tried ("I tried EVERYTHING!"
> doesn't really tell us anything.) and what happened ("Didn't work" doesn't
> tell us much either.)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
> > so
> > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
> > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:19:28 PM

No disrespect to R.C., but the msconfig method should not be considered a
permanent solution. It's like driving with a patched tire: It works, but
what you really need is a new tire.

Unchecking in msconfig interferes with a program's normal operation.
Sometimes, but not always, that can cause problems for you. Msconfig is
great as a diagnostic tool, like if you want to find out if a particular
item is causing startup or shutdown problems.

If a program doesn't let you prevent it from starting with Windows, I would
contact the program's tech support for advice.

news:D 87443DE-81F4-4A1E-B58E-A955393582AF@microsoft.com...
> Hello this is DWYCHE1, I would like to thank you for helping me. I tried
them
> all but what worked for me was to run msconfig.exe. I was able to uncheck
> the specific program and now when I log on the program does not run all by
> itself. Thank you R. C. White for your great information:)  And thank you
also
> Modem Ani for you info.
>
> "DWyche1" wrote:
>
> > Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup?
If so
> > please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I
logon
> > and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:33:52 AM

Try looking under the folder called: (Local Drive):\Documents and
Settings\(your user name)\Start Menu\programs\Startup

See if you see the program you mentioned under this folder, if so, then
delete it from there.

Please reply to the newsgroup.
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

"DWyche1" <DWyche1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello does anybody know how to stop a program from running at startup? If
> so
> please help me. There is one specific program that runs as soon as I logon
> and I would like to delete it. Thank you.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:08:33 PM

Hi, DWyche.

You're welcome! Glad you got it working. ;<)

RC

--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX