Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Roaming between Linksys WRT54G and 2 WAP54G APs connected ..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 31, 2004 9:01:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

OK, this has probably been asked and answered but my feeble search
powers couldn’t find the post. If I have a Linksys WRT54G as my router
connected to 2 Linksys WAP54G access points using standard Cat5 Ethernet
how do I set these up to enable wireless roaming?

I've heard conflicting reports, some say that I should have them on the
same channel and SSID while others say same SSID but different channels
(this seems more logical to avoid interference) and some say have both
different on each unit.

I presume I'll have to enter the MAC filtering and other settings into
each router/AP separately?

Another thing is I can get the WRT54G for less than the WAP54G and I
heard that the WRT can do everything the WAP can and more, should I just
get 3 of the WRT units and use 2 of them as APs?

Thanks

--
good with wires, not so good with air.
If you can think of a more appropriate place for this post
(other than the obvious) let me know.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 5:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

same ssid on different channels is proper

however, if roaming client cards ssid = ANY, you can use separate ssid on
each AP if you like but still requires separate channels.

You may want to verify with users or manufacturer that those AP do infact
support Roaming.

"bob123" <abc@def.com> wrote in message news:2pibhjFk4m3qU1@uni-berlin.de...
> OK, this has probably been asked and answered but my feeble search
> powers couldn’t find the post. If I have a Linksys WRT54G as my router
> connected to 2 Linksys WAP54G access points using standard Cat5 Ethernet
> how do I set these up to enable wireless roaming?
>
> I've heard conflicting reports, some say that I should have them on the
> same channel and SSID while others say same SSID but different channels
> (this seems more logical to avoid interference) and some say have both
> different on each unit.
>
> I presume I'll have to enter the MAC filtering and other settings into
> each router/AP separately?
>
> Another thing is I can get the WRT54G for less than the WAP54G and I
> heard that the WRT can do everything the WAP can and more, should I just
> get 3 of the WRT units and use 2 of them as APs?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> good with wires, not so good with air.
> If you can think of a more appropriate place for this post
> (other than the obvious) let me know.
September 1, 2004 6:15:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

bumtracks wrote:
> same ssid on different channels is proper
>
> however, if roaming client cards ssid = ANY, you can use separate ssid on
> each AP if you like but still requires separate channels.

Ah, thanks.

> You may want to verify with users or manufacturer that those AP do infact
> support Roaming.

That was why I was posting here as Linksys support is famously... er...
unsupportive.
!