screensaver and power options

After less than a week with a brand new computer I suddenly have lost my
screensaving ability. The options are there, preview is fine, but the thing
doesn't come on at all anymore. And the power down options have never
worked, but have also gone from 5 options to 2........... Any suggestions to
solve this would be most welcome. The hard drive is whirring away a lot so I
suspect that something is cutting in before the power-down times kick in,
but I don't know what most of the listed items are related to and am leery
of stopping anything vital.
msimn.exe
Freedom.exe
snmp.exe
dvpapi.exe
DVDRAMSV.exe
civsc.exe
explorer.exe
spoolsv.exe
schost.exe
cidaemon.exe System
svchost.exe network service
svchost.exe system
svchost.exe network service
svchost.exe system
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
alg.exe
smss.exe
svchost.exe
RMASST.exe
taskmgr.exe
Hotsynch.exe This one I know!
BsCLip.exe
PDVDserv.exe
System
System idle process

OS xp with SP2 included on brand new computer (Pentium 4 2.4Ghz, 120 GB)
Thanks
AS

"AS" <a-stewart@telus.net> wrote:

>After less than a week with a brand new computer I suddenly have lost my
>screensaving ability. The options are there, preview is fine, but the thing
>doesn't come on at all anymore. And the power down options have never
>worked, but have also gone from 5 options to 2........... Any suggestions to
>solve this would be most welcome. The hard drive is whirring away a lot so I
>suspect that something is cutting in before the power-down times kick in,
>but I don't know what most of the listed items are related to and am leery
>of stopping anything vital.

See "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)

Thanks for the suggestions! For some reason, after 24 hours of no
screensaver, it has reappeared so long as I set it to kick in after only 5
mins, which I can live with.
The power options though, still do not work. I am sorry to be so wussy about
this, but I am scared to dive into either offered option yet. The First
wipes out all restore points so I could end up worse off, with no way back,
and with a clean boot I could "lose some functionality......." .I don't
doubt these are valid potential solutions, but are there any less terrifying
things I could try first? Something more suitable for a very inexperienced
user? Is there something really dumb that I am missing?
Thanks
AS

"AS" <a-stewart@telus.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions! For some reason, after 24 hours of no
>screensaver, it has reappeared so long as I set it to kick in after only 5
>mins, which I can live with.
>The power options though, still do not work. I am sorry to be so wussy about
>this, but I am scared to dive into either offered option yet.

Try this: "Unable to Use Power Management Features"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302414).

--
(tm)